Leafs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ShoC

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Thinking about adding some leafs to my 2nd tank with Tetras. (sure they will appreciate it)

am I correct that I should gather them and boil them? as I want to have the tannins leach into my tank!
to make them feel comfortable as I would like to try and breed them even tho it's very hard.

Also will my Bristlenose Catfish object to the leaves! because I would think he would appreciate it..

And how many could I put it I dont want to have a huge ph drop..

Thanks for any help. Im going to collect some Oak leaves after work.

I would be careful what ones you add as many may contain toxins or rot down too fast. I think the best bet is to go for indian almond leaf (think thats what it is called). Many betta breeders swear by these as they release a lot of benifical "stuff" (thats the technical term..) into the water.

Cool, I should have clarfied in my post that I do not KNOW that oak leaves are bad to use, just that you should double check first :)

I still haven't seen any tanks using this yet but I really think that done right it will look really cool!

apparently Oak leafs will give tannins so Tetras will appreciate this and Im sure Suckers would like them,

Might I add that I also read that the Lower the PH the longer leafs take to rot.

apparently Oak leafs will give tannins so Tetras will appreciate this and Im sure Suckers would like them,

Might I add that I also read that the Lower the PH the longer leafs take to rot.

Very interesting!! This is the first I've ever heard of this. I've only heard of and used woods for that reason, but never leaves.

Very interesting!! This is the first I've ever heard of this. I've only heard of and used woods for that reason, but never leaves.

I must clarify Im not saying suckers Like them I assume they would I cant see why not, My catfish will bury in them like crazy Im sure :)
but I did read the tannins so If I'm wrong blame others not me =)

I just dont know if I must boile them as I want the tannins so increase chances of breading tetras...
which is very hard apparently.

I use oak leaves in a shrimp tank, I dont boil them, dead oak leaves soaked for a while in clean water so that they sink. The shrimp eat the micro food that grows on the leaf and eventually the whole leaf. I dont use many but they do release tannins. I also used some to grow micro food for forktail rainbow fry the fry pick the food off the leaves.

I use oak leaves in a shrimp tank, I dont boil them, dead oak leaves soaked for a while in clean water so that they sink. The shrimp eat the micro food that grows on the leaf and eventually the whole leaf. I dont use many but they do release tannins. I also used some to grow micro food for forktail rainbow fry the fry pick the food off the leaves.

thanks mate thats what I was looking to hear..
the tannins I do want,
when they rot do they produce ammonia? and how much of a ph swing will it cause do you think if I cover mostly the bottom. and would it be gradual I mean I want to lower my ph

There an article over on PFK's website on this if you do a search you'll some across it. It recommended Oak leaves I seem to remember as well as almond I think it was. As well as this There was a list of fish suitable, one thing to mention though is that almost certainly your water will become stained brown.
catfish will feel right at home with a leaf litter bottom since that is what their natural habitat Is like.

My impression not based on any science is that they don’t rot as such, at least not like veg, they sort of break down slowly, guess that’s why dead brown ones are used. I know that many shrimp breeders use only leaf litter for breeding as they produce so much food for baby shrimp. So I expect that they produce little or no ammonia as baby shrimp are easily killed by ammonia. I don’t use enough to know the ph change but they do release tannic acids. Some moss peat of course would also acidify the water for tetras. If the water is very soft as hatching tetras need I guess even a little tannic acid will reduce ph significantly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back