The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Welcome all to the start of what we hope will be a worthwhile little project for all of us who 
wub.png
these fish and no-longer wish to see them treated badly in stores, or by people who are not aware of how to care for them.

The idea came from this topic, focusing on the positive approach assisting to dispel myths and educate stores and future owners.  The plan is to produce a leaflet, possibly a tri-fold, that can then be sent/given to stores and animal welfare organisations to reproduce and use.

If you all wish to add information you would like to see in this leaflet I am happy to consolidate it and post it here for approval prior to publication.

Points I would like to see are:

Content Area:
  • Dispel the myths about how they live in the wild and thus in captivity
  • Heaters
  • Filters
  • Diet
  • Indian Almond Leaves
  • Suitable ornaments, "snag test", Bogwood
  • Plants - live or silk (not plastic)
  • Suitable tank size
  • Water changes
  • Further information sources
Feel free to add anything else as well as the content you would like to see, ideally this should be your own work or the source added alongside the content.  When you add any content it would be beneficial if you could also add (we can then consolidate years experience etc to gain credibility with the stores):
  1. How many Bettas do you own/have owned?  Please note it does not matter if you have only owned one, if you have something to share please feel free to do so 
    yes.gif

2. How long have you owned Bettas?  as above
Please copy this template for posting information:

Content Area:  Please select from the list above or add further headings you would like to see
Summary of Information: this would be the content you would like to see on the leaflet
Source: if applicable. 

How many Bettas do you own/have owned?
How long have you owned Bettas?

Photographs: please add any photographs you feel would assist in highlighting the point you are making.  It is important you state the source of the images and ideally it is better if they are your own.

smartass.gif
 So lets educate and stop the cruel treatment of these delightful fish
fish.gif
Please all input your thoughts and knowledge, the more the merrier.
This is your chance to make a difference.
 ​
Look forward to working with you all on this.​
 ​
I can envisage we will also be crediting the TFF and using it for a source for more information.  
Mods please confirm you are in agreement with this?
 ​
Let the information needed begin to flow...

I'd like to see a list of safe medications since someone said on the board that some medications contain oils and that is bad for bettas.

I don't have anything to add (though I hope I can when I get my Betta) but I think this is a great idea! 

One thing that could be added, is the common diseases Betta's can get and how to treat them.

Agreed with above about information on NOT using melafix & why and more importantly, what they can do as an alternative.

A topic including illnesses and medications would probably take another leaflet on its own. I think the drive behind this is to educate future owners and LFSs how to properly care for bettas and to dispel any myths surrounding their general care and environment.

Mamashack said:
A topic including illnesses and medications would probably take another leaflet on its own. I think the drive behind this is to educate future owners and LFSs how to properly care for bettas and to dispel any myths surrounding their general care and environment.
Correct +1

Good ideas re: medications etc, however, the new owner could come to somewhere like this to find out more.  In addition I would not wish to name any brand as a pro/con as this way we are not liable or seen supporting any particular company.

Maybe if you feel that a treatment is not good for a Betta and is widely used you could contact the manufacturer requesting they put "not suitable for Bettas", although you may find they would want scientific evidence!

Now back to topic ... anyone got any insights/copy they would like included on the leaflet?  Please use the template above if you do - thanks :)

Summary of Information:  The above plus:
How much to feed and how often, including a fasting-day in their weekly schedule which can help prevent constipation. 

The importance of having a cycled tank, and maybe a little info on the difference between fish-in cycle and fish-less cycle. (Raising awareness about this issue to encourage research on their own)

The tank-mate issue. (to raise awareness about compatibility as well as the Bettas natural territorial behavior) 

How many Bettas do you own/have owned? I've owned 3 in total 
How long have you owned Bettas? I got our first Betta February 2011, he lived a little over 2 years with us, I don't know his age since I got him from another owner. The second Betta contracted dropsy after only having him for 3 months, and I euthanized him. Now we have a female Betta.

Content Area: diet
Summary of Information: bettas don't just have to have Betta pellets they can also eat Betta flakes, tropical flakes, bloodworms as an occasional treat treat it may cause bloating if fed all the time. I  they are in a suitable community tank then you can feed them whatever the others are eating.
Source:

How many Bettas do you own/have owned? 3 total 1 male  in the past when I was younger and now 2 females in a 55 gallon community tank.
How long have you owned Bettas? 3 or so years I'm not sure.

Photographs:

Good ideas re: medications etc, however, the new owner could come to somewhere like this to find out more.
Don't want to seem like I am throwing my toys out of the pram, but you may as well blooming turn your entire leaflet into a single business card with this sites web address if this is your thoughts!

Defintly tank size too i've had betta fish for 7 years and i have 7 right now (not sure if this is still happening or if it already happened)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back