Leaf Litter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cian McLiam

Ye Olde Irish Tank Guy
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hi, here is a pic of the leaf litter Ive added to my south american tank. They are a good addition I think and make it look more natural.
BTW the leaves are Beech tree from last year. The Corys love em!

Attachments

• leafs.jpg
    leafs.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 91
I love it! Your angels are stunning, btw. (I know I've probably told you that before in some thread or other :rolleyes: )

I love it!!! I especially like the lighting!!!! Looks great!!!
TOTM material fo sho!!!!
That should be considered a nomination by the way!!!! :p

TOTM for sure, fantastic looking tank. Did you just dry the leaves and put them in? would like to know.

Cheers

David :fish:

Hey thanks guys, I thought they would be an interesting addition,
I get brown leaves from a park, they cant have any green bits at all. Then I
just boil them and they sink after a few days of soaking. Beech twigs are also safe to use in tanks with fish but Im trying to keep it simple so I dont have to tear it apart every time I clean the gravel.
Thanks again, you've put me in the mood for a few pints tonight!! :)

Ken

They will rot, but they add beneficial tannins and stuff that makes the water more like natural river water, they also help soften and lower the PH of the water, though not nearly as effective as peat! Once they dont have any sap or green bits, they dont do any damage.

Ken

Fantastic looking tank m8........... too late with the nomination but heres the thid any ways............... cracking pic too :thumbs: 8)

Ken_g_w said:
They will rot, but they add beneficial tannins and stuff that makes the water more like natural river water, they also help soften and lower the PH of the water, though not nearly as effective as peat! Once they dont have any sap or green bits, they dont do any damage.

Ken
groovy ;)

I wish I could get my hands on some, I'd chunk them in with my L200 babes :)

@ Lizard,
I have heard you can use Oak leaves too, but Im gonna stick to what I know is safe for the moment. Some people on the Apisto forum use Oak leaves, heres a LINK to a great discussion on using leaves in south american tanks.
For the nominations : :hyper: !!

Ken

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back