FishForums.net Fish of the Month
๐Ÿ† Click to vote! ๐Ÿ†

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
๐Ÿ† Tank of the Year ๐Ÿ†
3x Fish of the Month ๐ŸŒŸ
4x Tank of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Reaction score
Are the little lead straps what come around plants ok to leave on in your tank?

Ive got some hornwort what doesnt need to be planted in my sand and id like to leave it on if possible. Hornwort doesnt anchor with its roots like my other plants so this would cure that problem if i could.

Are the little lead straps what come around plants ok to leave on in your tank?

Ive got some hornwort what doesnt need to be planted in my sand and id like to leave it on if possible. Hornwort doesnt anchor with its roots like my other plants so this would cure that problem if i could.
They are safe for your fish. However... I donโ€™t suggest leaving them on your plant. They will do/grow much better if it is removed. How will they not anchor in the sand? Do you have an AquaScaping Kit?

Lead is a heavy metal and poisonous (highly so) to life forms. Having said that, I've no idea how much lead will "dissolve" from the lead strips but I have always removed them.

Anchoring plants is easy with a couple steps. First, ensure a couple inches of the stem are buried in the substrate. Then place a small smooth stone (or more than one) around the base. I do this in my cory tank when moving/planting pygmy chain swords and it stops the cories from uprooting them, and the plant will in time anchor itself with roots.

They are safe for your fish. However... I donโ€™t suggest leaving them on your plant. They will do/grow much better if it is removed. How will they not anchor in the sand? Do you have an AquaScaping Kit?
You can plant it (i have some in the substrate)or have it as a floating plant. But its not like say a normal stem plant where the roots grow through the substrate. It very easily comes loose

Lead is a heavy metal and poisonous (highly so) to life forms. Having said that, I've no idea how much lead will "dissolve" from the lead strips but I have always removed them.

Anchoring plants is easy with a couple steps. First, ensure a couple inches of the stem are buried in the substrate. Then place a small smooth stone (or more than one) around the base. I do this in my cory tank when moving/planting pygmy chain swords and it stops the cories from uprooting them, and the plant will in time anchor itself with roots.
An article I was reading said that some bigger companies are switching to Zinc instead of lead? I might have been mistaken.

You can plant it (i have some in the substrate)or have it as a floating plant. But its not like say a normal stem plant where the roots grow through the substrate. It very easily comes loose
I see. You could try to loosely tie it to a small piece of rock? Or a piece of driftwood?

If the lead is shiny and looks like silver, it is toxic to fish and other organisms.
If the lead is dull grey then it has a layer of oxide on the outside and is significantly less dangerous to handle and doesn't do any damage to fish.

Thanks Byron, if its poisonous ill take it out then. Thats what i wasnt sure on

I would still suggest you take it off, just to be safe. ;)

If the lead is shiny and looks like silver, it is toxic to fish and other organisms.
If the lead is dull grey then it has a layer of oxide on the outside and is significantly less dangerous to handle and doesn't do any damage to fish.
It is a dull grey and said on the packaging it could be used in a pond or fish tank.

Didnt want to take the risk without consulting you guys

An article I was reading said that some bigger companies are switching to Zinc instead of lead? I might have been mistaken.

That wouldn't be much better, because zinc is also a heavy metal. It is true we add zinc in plant fertilizers, but it is minimal and (presumably and hopefully) assimilated by the plants and not in excess. A few years ago I was consulting with a marine biologist about a problem in one tank and the zinc in the fertilizer got noticed and she warned me to be careful.

For years lead has been substituted to a lead free alternative. As in solder for copper pipes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back