Large Fish For 30g Tank?

Hawkins

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 16, 2008
Messages
1,340
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
United Kingdom
i havent got any large fish so im not sure what there is that will fit in a 30g tank.

i have 3 german blue rams- they are my biggest fish.

can you suggest anything bigger?
 
gouramis or angelfish mate booth will grown big
 
Angelfish (aggressive often - they are cichlids), silver dollars, gouramis, discuss (not so easy to keep i've heard), some variety of pleco (look up one of desired size, BN plecos get to 5", there are loads which vary from about 3" to 25")
 
Don't put angelfish or gourami in there because I have both and you have a chance of getting aggressive ones. Not all are but you might have chance of getting nippy ones just like mine. I suggest you get Bolivian Ram Cichlids which are a little bigger than German Blue and have more reddish/pink color. They seem to be just as peaceful as German Blue if not more.
 
there are some nice whiptail catfish they grow big
clown loachs
and there are some big killifishes
 
In the tank now i have:

2 tiger barbs (3 died, im not replacing them)

3 german blue rams (2M 1F)

1 female killifish

1 small angelfish (not at all aggressive)

2 baby firemouths (1M 1F) small atm might need rehoming in a few months (had them for about 2 months and they have hardly grown)

3 melanochromis auratus (little babies, taking them back to shop soon as they will grow into killers)
 
The current problems need looking at before anything else is added.

what are the dimensions of the tank?
 
there are some nice whiptail catfish they grow big
clown loachs
and there are some big killifishes

i'm sorry but cant have clown loaches they would outgrow the tank too quickly please research before giving people advice about unsuitable fish for their tanks clown loaches would be such a bad idea for such a small tank
you need a minimum of at least 75 gallons for one and they need to live in groups of at least 5

thanks Sarah x
 
In all honesty, you need to remove the firemouths, they are pretty aggressive, also remove the chromis.

I wouldnt recommend adding any bolivian rams as there isnt the territory space for them plus the GBR's.

Certainly no clown loaches or silver dollars as suggested, both far too big for the tank size Im afraid.

I think with 3 rams, 1 angel, TB's and killifish, your pretty stocked IMO, I know you dont want to add to the TB's but with only two you are risking nipping of the other fish as with more TB's they keep their aggression amongst themselves.
 
Personally I think that 3 silver dollars would be fine in a 30G.

you obviously haven't seen a fully grown Silver Dollar, if kept properly they should have a circular body that is 8" in diameter
If put in a 30G they would be no doubt be very skittish and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't constantly dart into the glass.
 
Keeping African cichlids with South American cichlids is a bad idea simply because of the extremely different ares they come from - all fish can usually adapt to a different pH, but in this case it might just a bit extreme.

Firemouths can get aggressive and are not the best choice ever.

Other suggestions:
Discuss and Silver dollars grow too big.

Some fish I'd consider interesting - Megaletchys thoracata, Platydoras costatus, plecos (clown plecos rule, imo anyway), maybe some smaller species of spiny eels if you're prepared to target feed frozen bloodworm.

Now for a short rant...
I see people asking for tank suggestions all the time, and that's kinda fine, however not having any idea on what they want is a bit ignorant. All the forum posters have lives (I'm not saying I'm not more than happy to spend time on here) and maybe it would be nice for posters to just once do some research on their own. And that's all kind of ok, untill somebody asks for advice and has new fish 6 hours later before anybody really gets a chance to respond, that's just wrong.
 
I think a 30gal is too small to keep large fish. If you want large fish, get a large tank.

I'd stick with small fish if I were you. I'm not being nasty, I know it's tempting to try and fill the tank with anything and everything... I've done it myself. But really, large fish=large tank.
 
Personally I think that 3 silver dollars would be fine in a 30G.

lol

3 silver dollars would not be a good idea in the first place as they are far better in a shoal and they get very skittish if not feeling safe/comfortable
and besides that I have 8 in a 200g tak and I was only looking at mine closely realising how big they have grown, they are nearly the size of a saucer!! big fish
 

Most reactions

Back
Top