Lampeye Killifish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MHunt

I think therefore I shouldn't
Reaction score
Hello, first post in the rather quiet section.

Apnor_m1.jpg

Is there any special information i need to know about these interesting little fish?

They look like they might be pretty easy to keep, but i haven't been able to find much information about them so far.

i have quite a few of these guys. they have been easy to keep so far and are fun little fish. my ph about 7.4 and I keep the water clean, they are in with cardinals, shrimp, kubotai loaches and until recently - danios.

i have quite a few of these guys. they have been easy to keep so far and are fun little fish. my ph about 7.4 and I keep the water clean, they are in with cardinals, shrimp, kubotai loaches and until recently - danios.

Any suggestions of how many to keep for a happy life. I want to have 6 in my tank if possible, but i did read they prefer groups of around a dozen! :crazy: :blink:

There are quite a few fish termed as Lampeyes these days. I have never kept them personally but try doing a search for Aplocheilichthys Normanni (which is what I think you have there)
Regards
BigC

Quite common and inexpensive these days.
Regards
BigC

I have just picked up 6 of these guys, and didn't realize they were shoaling fish. They do see happy to just rush around the tank. They do not seem to school as much, but could be from the lack of numbers, but they do certainly like to be around one another. They seems to unthreatening to every other fish in the tank. From the shrimp to the cardinal tetras to the glass catfish. Really spurty as well. Would recommend a longer tank as they like to go back and forth a lot. They seem to enjoy frozen brine shrimp, and have not warmed up to flakes as of yet.

I will try and get some more updated information as I can get them.

Lampeyes - unlike other killies, tend to inhabit water with a bit of current. Usually a clean stream or river.

They will be at their happiest with clear clean water, with a current. They like to swim against something, so still water isn't so good.

They can be doing very well, then the water gets a bit dirtier, and they will just die. Keep up the water changes and they should be fine.

Other killies often inhabit smaller bodies of water, and can take a gradual increase in disolved waste - certainly not the case with lampeyes.

They will do even better if you feed them (yes the adults) baby brine shrimp a couple times a week

I just got some of these yesterday and they are cheap. 7 for 2.50

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back