Kuhli In Shock?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Crossfire

Cogito Ergo Sum
Reaction score
I recently purchased two Kuhli Loaches from my LFS. They were kept in a tank with blue gravel, and while the other kuhli is fine, one has lost most of his whiskers as the employee tried to violently catch him which ended with his whiskers being damaged by net and gravel. His body is also scraped on the bottom. He's breathing normally, but instead of hiding like a loach would after being newly introduced, he is out in the open. Strangely, he won't eat the sand and shoot it out of his gills. He ate sand, but then immediatley spit it out of his mouth, not gills. He also spit out frozen bloodworms. Is he in shock? Does it hurt him to touch the sand because of his injured whiskers? He's taken to lying on his side now. I have a QT, but I feel it would only stress him more and ultimatley kill him. I can do a water change, and I have StressCoat+ to add.
I'm very concerned, I don't want to lose Lumpy, as we've called him due to his whiskers. Is there anything I can do? Please help
cry1.gif

I also cannot add any antiseptics like Melafix. I have Sparkling Gouramis, and the tea tree oil will kill them.

Here are some pictures
PB131251.jpg

PB131252.jpg

PB131249.jpg

PB131245.jpg

I'm thinking with clean water and patience it will heal :)

Awh :'( poor little guy... I don't know much about Kuhli loaches so I don't think I'll be much help, but I hope that he gets better soon!!
I shake my fist at the person who tried catching him >: (

I know i already said this but i will put it here for future reference:
  • Clean Water
  • Available Food
  • Watch For Possible Infection
  • Try Not To Disturb
  • Make Sure Cover Is Always Available
  • Make Sure Light Is Not To Bright

If he is not lying down or anything, just leave him be, turn off the lights to let him settle in his new home. He is in stress. Do more water changes but make sure you do it in the least stressful way and certainly not today. Cuts and missing barbels can heal without any intervention. Problem is stress or bad water quality that can make him succumb to infection.

He seems to be hungry, I threw in some food and he starting sniffing and turning looking for it
I don't think he can find food without his whiskers, aren't kuhlis practically blind?

Try dropping it close to his mouth, maybe use a syringe. That's if he doesn't run away from you or the other fish get it first. Make sure he does eat.

Did use a syringe, and the pellets practically landed on his face. He looked like he was searching, but couldn't find any even though his mouth would hover over the pellets for a few seconds.

If he is not lying down or anything, just leave him be, turn off the lights to let him settle in his new home. He is in stress. Do more water changes but make sure you do it in the least stressful way and certainly not today. Cuts and missing barbels can heal without any intervention. Problem is stress or bad water quality that can make him succumb to infection.

Good thing I saw that. Was just about to do one. I did however add purigen to suck up excessive nitrates since i just added new fish. When should I do a water change?

Good thing I saw that. Was just about to do one. I did however add purigen to suck up excessive nitrates since i just added new fish. When should I do a water change?

Tomorrow is fine, just let him settle for now. The more relaxed and safe he feels, the better his chances. Purigen is a great idea too(was just reading recently that it can be restarted via bleach/water solution once it exhausts itself?)
Also, the best idea is to do a water change before new fish are added so they can relax and start feeling safe until the next one is due.

Tomorrow is fine, just let him settle for now. The more relaxed and safe he feels, the better his chances. Purigen is a great idea too(was just reading recently that it can be restarted via bleach/water solution once it exhausts itself?)

Yup, I've done it before. Thought it would kill my fish, but a long soaking in heavily dechlorinated water using Prime, it didn't do anything except suck up more nitrates.
I also have ammoniasafe by tetra. Should I use that? Or will it just be worse? Also, is it invertebrate safe?

Why are you worrying about ammonia?Generally there shouldn't be any spike if you added just 2 kuhlis and you have adequate filter/filtration. I don't know, I've never used it so I can't tell but I don't add chemicals to the water unless inevitable.

I didn't just add two kuhlis. I also added 2 Sparkling Gouramis and 2 Harlequin Rasboras, which I know is a lot. I'm using a Marineland Penguin 150, with plans to upgrade to the 200 model soon.
Do you think Seachem StressGuard would help? It binds to injuries and prevents infection, but I'm concerned it might do more damage than good. But it sounds very promising.

Crossfire, i would leave well alone unless something develops. Just make sure the water quality is high enough. As we all know kuhli's are very sensitive, just test your levels regularly and keep up with those WC's.

Not sure, I haven't used Seachem stress guard either. As Tuxyu3 says, I would leave it alone, just turn the lights off and don't bother the fish, only test the water later and see how it goes as your filter may still cope without any issues if the tank has been running for a long time. Not sure about the penguin filter either, I have never used one of those or even this type of filter. Does it provide enough flow in the tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back