kribensis tropical fish sexing question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Teretta

Reaction score
I recently bought three Kribensis fish. One was definitely a male the other two were definitely females. One of the females immediately partnered with the male and started picking on the other female so I caught her and put her in my 30 gallon fish tank. Two days ago I went and thought I bought a male to go with the female in the 30 gallon tank but the female started picking on it terribly. Now that female is in a fry net inside the 30 gallon fish tank so the new fish can at least swim around freely. My question is is the new fish a male that's just a juvenile or did I really just buy another female.

Attachments

• 20191027_101546.jpg
    20191027_101546.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20191027_100909.jpg
    20191027_100909.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 66
To me, kribensis can be difficult to tell apart especially with young fish. The standard rules of thumb for sexing cichlids don't always work. I can't tell from your pictures. Perhaps someone else has a sharper eye.

The photos are quite small so I can't make out any real detail in the first picture. The second looks like a female with her crimson belly showing although that's a guess based on what I can see.

If you look at my signature, the smaller fish with the rounder crimson belly is the female. The longer fish with the more flowing fins at the bottom is the male.

Kribs are quite straightforward to determine so if you can get some larger photos then it might be easier to help you work it out.

That's what I think too, so I'll let it grow out a little longer in my brothers tank

Most reactions

Back