Kribensis Eggs

minnnt

Fish Expert
Reaction score
I have got a pair of breeding kribs and they have spawned in an ornament. There is also 8 young from the previous spawn. The parents are chasing these away from the ornament. The babies are about an inch long, maybe a little less. Should I remove these? I think I know the answer, but just wanted an answer from someone with a bit more experience than me. :good:

I have got a pair of breeding kribs and they have spawned in an ornament. There is also 8 young from the previous spawn. The parents are chasing these away from the ornament. The babies are about an inch long, maybe a little less. Should I remove these? I think I know the answer, but just wanted an answer from someone with a bit more experience than me. :good:

Mine have just settled down to lay some more eggs and strangely enough did not push their old fry away, however I figured I would edge on the side of caution and so have put the old fry (of similar size to yours) into a breeding tank before transporting them to a newly set-up tank in a couple of weeks!

Well I have done like you and moved them, what a nightmare!! They are fast little blighters!! I just hope I haven't disturbed the parents. They didn't come out of the ship, so maybe this is good. I have shon the torch in again and most of the eggs are still in place. How long for them to turn into wrigglers and how long before they are free swimming?

Cheers.

Well I have done like you and moved them, what a nightmare!! They are fast little blighters!! I just hope I haven't disturbed the parents. They didn't come out of the ship, so maybe this is good. I have shon the torch in again and most of the eggs are still in place. How long for them to turn into wrigglers and how long before they are free swimming?

Cheers.

Yer they were a nightmare to catch! I cannot see half the cave mine are currently in, however the eggs that disappeared yesterday have not been replaced, the female is continuing to stay in the cave so, fingers crossed, there are more eggs there/on the way! I think they turn into wrigglers after 3 days (if fertilized) and then will be free swimming in 7 days!

Hmmm, very interesting, I have looked this morning and I can only see a few eggs, most of them have gone. Seems our experiences are relatively alike!!

Hmmm, very interesting, I have looked this morning and I can only see a few eggs, most of them have gone. Seems our experiences are relatively alike!!

It's flipping annoying eh! I am hoping that there are eggs I cannot see on a different part of the cave! Mine have spawned twice before but I have been away while they have gone through the procedure so this will be the first I see the whole experience for myself! How many eggs have you got left now?

my fry are still alive and kicking, i put a pinch of food on top of their heads when i get home. mum and dad seem to have taken over a good 1/3 of the tank now :eek:

Well got home and had a quick look and i can't see any eggs left. :sad: The parents are still in the ornament though. I guess the whole upset of me moving the fry has made them decide to abandon, unless like you say, they have moved them to another side of it. Will have to keep a close eye on the tank to see if any little babies start swimming about.

Well got home and had a quick look and i can't see any eggs left. :sad: The parents are still in the ornament though. I guess the whole upset of me moving the fry has made them decide to abandon, unless like you say, they have moved them to another side of it. Will have to keep a close eye on the tank to see if any little babies start swimming about.

We are indeed in the very same situation now my friend!

A bit gutted really... They are the only thing in the tank (well, apart from one baby who i can't catch!) and the heat is around 29 degreed and they are fed well and often so hopefully in a week or so they may get the urge to spawn again. Really hope so as i love the whole journey of it!

A bit gutted really... They are the only thing in the tank (well, apart from one baby who i can't catch!) and the heat is around 29 degreed and they are fed well and often so hopefully in a week or so they may get the urge to spawn again. Really hope so as i love the whole journey of it!
Hi Dave,

Was well pleased to hear your Kribs had fry, then read the whole thread.
Gutted mate.
Thought they may have moved them at first, as that is what mine did.

Anyway, prob be 3-4 weeks till they look at breeding again.

Good luck anyway mate.

Pete

Cheers Pete. They didn't actually have fry from.this lot of eggs, but its still disappointing. The kribs aren't coming out of the ornament now, not even for food, maybe they moved... will just have to wait and see. None of the eggs went white, so it must have just been the stress of me trying to fish the babies out for about an hour.

Owww. If you have any females going from your Krib fry I may well be interested in doing a swap with 2 spot, will certainly wait untill they are much bigger. My male krib lost his mate recently and the plan is to have the pair of kribs in the tank that two spot is in. Let me know if your interested. Hopefully by then our finances will be up to it by then. :good:

Sounds like a plan mate, the fry are a wee bit small as of yet, but i'm sure they won't be too long. If not then i will have 2 spot from you after the 14th. :D

Yep, PM me when your ready, my male is full grown so she would need to be a good size. Two spot is showing he's displeasure by pulling up as many plants as he can and flaring at me, he is so funny. Even though he has guppy and fry in with him, he hasn't shown any interest in them.

Most reactions

Back