Killi's Lifestyle & Bredding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HotStuffGal

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey!

Thanks for taking the time to click on this page and attempt to answer a few of my questions.

It started off with 2 killifish. They were both a stunning yellow color and soon grew to be even bigger and beautifull. After about a year one of them died yet the larger one continued to thrive.

A while later while my dad and I were browsing through a new NY fish store we came across a tank of much smaller killis which had a clear/gray like color and a few verticle black stripes on their back end. We purchased 2 of them thinking they would be a very good addition to my tank, indeed I was right. Those two lived in harmony with the other much larger killi who could have easily have fit both of the killi's in his mouth at the same time. They are not twice the size they were when I bought them.

Now only three or four days ago once again at a different well trusted fish store we ran across (my dad and I) a tank of killi's, their colors brighter and more stunning then the batch we had seen before. Quickly scrambled for my money and purchased 3 of them. A yellow one very similar to my very first killi's and 2 ones very similar to my last purchase although their stripes were darker and they had a little vibrant colors on their tales.

Everyone lives in harmony and its great to see them all swim around together like a pack. My second purchase though (the 2 striped killi's) hang out a lot by themselves and one will not let anyone else near the other. I noticed the one being protected stomache is a lot bigger than the others yet he eats no more than anyone else, and he has a small red spot in his stomache, similar to the black spot on a pregnent guppy, though its red.

Is it possible that she's pregnent? Would pictures be helpfull? And if it should be assumed she is pregnent then what measures should I take to ensure a healthy delivery and a new generation of Killi's?

The tank is a 20 US Gallon with a small albino bristlenose pleco, 2 cories, a rapheal cat, and a pictus. I have been trying to get rid of the pictus catfish but its hard to find someone who wants such a spastic fish. The substrate is sand and I have natural flat river rocks that make caves and coves for the catfish. I also have small natural looking green plants.

Well any information on anything about them woudl be greatly appretiated though your opinion of the possible prgenant killi would be even better. Thanks for your time and I will attempt to take some picture so you guys can get a feel of the tank and the fish in it.

Much Thanks,

Pictures would help me to know exactly what you have. but going by the info you have supplied it's hard to tell. I would make a tentitive guess that the original yellow ones are Aplochelius Lineatus Gold (Golden Wonders) The second banded species, small, with dark vertical bars and coloured tails sound like Pseudepiplatys annulatus (the Clown Killi). Do a google on the above latin names and send in some pictures and I will be able to help you more. I will then tell you how to breed these sucessfully once I have a clear picture of what you have.
Regards
BigC

Aplochelius Lineatus Gold - Yup thats the yellow killi I was speaking about!

Pseudepiplatys annulatus - Nope thats not the one though that is a brilliant looking killi.

Here is a picture of 2 of my killi's the one to the left is the one that I don't know the scientific name for. The one I believe is pregnent is not in the picture. And excuse the crappy pictures my camera is nto top notch.

Killi.jpg

Thanks for all your help.

Do you wish to know more on how to breed them.

Aplochelius Lineatus are what we call an egg hanger, in simple terms they lay their eggs in plant material. Now, if you want to collect the eggs then you will have to make some synthetic plants (spawning mops)For the mop itself, is very simple to make. Go to the local knitting wool shop and ask for some 100% synthetic (manmade) knitting yarn. I use dark green, simply because it looks like a plant colour. Wrap the yarn (about 25-30 times) around a hardback-book that is about 8 inches or more in length, then cut the strands at one end, take one strand and tie a knot in the middle of the others attaching a cork as you go. Simple!! Make about two or three of these and boil them first to get rid of the excess dye in the yarn, then place them in your tank. As these are considered quite easy Killifish to breed and rear The water can be around neutral pH7.0 and a temp of around 74 degrees F. The male and female will dissappear into the floating mops and lay a single egg each time, they will do this pretty regular. Before long you will have an abundance of eggs. The eggs themselves are quite large as killifish go. Pick them off the mops daily with your fingers and place them in a small margarine tub floated in your aquarium. The eggs will be quite hard to the touch but don't press them, if they squish between your fingers then they were quite probably infertile anyway. Now you are not going to collect every single egg forever and a day so, collect around 30 or so for now. check the tub daily for fungussed eggs (infertile or otherwise, they will be white in colour) eliminate these from the tub via a syringe with a little piece if airline attached to the end. The eggs will darken and will hatch in or around 14 days. Transfer these to another floating tub. Feeding the fry present little or no problems. I would normally feed newly hatched brineshrimp but that is not possible here, so perhaps get some of the liquid preparations to feed egg layers (liquifry No1 for egglayers or similar) this will do for a couple of days then give them very finely crushed flake food (almost dust) be careful not to over feed. clean the fry rearing tub every day (use the syringe again to suck up uneaten food and replace with water from the parent tank. Don't make the mistake of putting them back into the aquarium too soon, much rather buy a small tank and rear them along first.
Phew!!!!! I hope this was of some help to you If you need any more info, just ask. see pick below for spawning mop.
Regards BigC

killi6.jpg

Oh gosh thank you so much!! I think I will enjoy breeding Killi fish very much and once again I thank you for that entire novel you wrote me!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back