Killifish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

That what "F1's" are.... I feel myself qualified already!!!... (thought it had something to do with motor car racing), but there you are.... You do realise what a nuisance I will be once I get started,.... So, up to you to reconsider....

:lol: No problem Lud!
I was that nuisance once.
ATB (all the best)
Colin

Meanwhile, I'll get in touch with Tyrone Grenade for you and see if he can help out here. (same continent, Notho enthusiast)
Eh up BigC.....Tyrone sells eggs on aquabid you know..... like I said.... there are some good guys on there! :p :D :lol:

I could also help you out with eggs Ludwig depending on what you are after. I dont keep the Northo's but have quite a few other varieties.

Regards
Dave
TDC

Wow!!....Dave... Fishman... I haven't a clue what Northo's or anything else in this line is, but I feel confident that I can (likely) handle whatever comes to offer......

My thinking is that the eggs are (probably) like brine shrimp eggs (completely dry) and would fit like sand into an envelope for posting??.....

Maybe I'm totally off the track, but I remain willing to try..... (& possibly) go the natural route with outside breeding, as it seems to me, the climate is conducive..... (or at worst, my ignorance is showing)

Wow!!....Dave... Fishman... I haven't a clue what Northo's or anything else in this line is, but I feel confident that I can (likely) handle whatever comes to offer......

My thinking is that the eggs are (probably) like brine shrimp eggs (completely dry) and would fit like sand into an envelope for posting??.....

Maybe I'm totally off the track, but I remain willing to try..... (& possibly) go the natural route with outside breeding, as it seems to me, the climate is conducive..... (or at worst, my ignorance is showing)

Northo's is an abreviation of Northobranchius. These are anual fish from Africa and spawn in the substate (like the movie clip) Then you get Cynolebias and Rachovia which are from South America which are also an anual fish that spawn in the substrate.

Some other species are also substrate spawners too... eg. some rivulans, aphyosemions etc.
If you were to get eggs from these varieties then they would usually come in a bag of damp peat/peat fibre etc. with an approximate wetting date.

The fish I breed at the moment are mop spawners. I send eggs in water in a plastic test tube.

Do you know what your tap water is like? Hard/soft Acid/alkaline?? It may be an inportant factor to consider before you start.

A lot of people instantly think all killis only like soft acid water. This is not the case.
I have some species that prefer hard alkaline water, some that like salt, some that are not that bothered, as well as some soft acid species.

Having species that like your local tap water makes life a lot easier when doing water changes on 70 fish tanks! :good:

You can see 4 varieties of my best killis on this link.
http://www.fbas.co.uk/NEWSPAGE3A%202008.html
My fish are under TDC which stands for Tim Dave (me) and Colin. We all have a passion for fish keeping. I have a fish house, Tim (my best mate) and I run the fish house together. Colin is the guy who got us started in fish keeping who helps me out with the fish showing.

Yep Helter well aware of Redditch auction stats, being kept informed via contacts on mainland.
On the aquabid score, its fine for picking up the odd rarity here and there non-one's condoning that fact. but you are dealing with faceless people. I'm probably lucky in that respect that I can call upon contacts from around the globe and generally find what I want somewhere. I have a very good friend over here and he has been duped by aquabid sellers on more than one occasion so I remain sceptical on those sites. but I re-itterate it does serve a purpose.
Killifish Associations in general are experiencing a downturn in membership and funds are tight. What's the situation on the livebearer front Helter.
Regards
BigC

I know what it's like, I'm good friends with Brian Wilson (Membership Sec), If you ever get to pop over for an auction, we'll all have to meet up, like to put a face to names here.
BLA membership has not been too bad and the trend for the last few years has risen each year which is all good.

I must say Tim Addis and Alan Green do a great Charity Auction at Redditch.
It is not a BKA organised event, even though many members attend (such as myself) to attain really good fish. :good:
As you well know there are also members of the BLA, BCA and other fish enthusiasts which is great. Basically the door is open to all, which I think gets some people started to wanting to join such groups.
There were 5 racks full of fish. I should know because i kept loading and unloading the rack! :good: If you visit Tims web site [URL="http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/"]http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/[/URL] and click on the yellow box in the left hand corner you can see the report on the event, what fish were available and how reasonable the prices were. My friend and I tell everyone how good Redditch auction is. I consider it the best place to get breeding stock from. As well as being able to sell off my surplus young fish.

As for aquabid... They are not all faceless people, nor all con artists. If you do a little reserch you will find that there are some really good guys there. To be honest, buying fish eggs or any other item always has an element of risk. There are always scammers on buying and selling sides. Thats the risk you take.

I am led to believe that the BLA membership is growing steadily and doing well. Shame the BKA isn't the same.

Sorry i'll correct my self i'm well aware Tim Addis and Alan Green arrange this auction i just think of it as a BKA auction in my head... :blush:
This is the problem of a livebearer nut you see.

If i had known u was there i would of said hello too amazing the spread of people there, i traveled 4 hours and Keith in Sunderland took even longer to get there LOL (again confirms the livebearer people are nuts).

I must have a pic of u here the some where then ;)

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Hel...itch%20Auction/

I believe you sat fairly close to Dia Jones on the same side of the table as his missus.
I was the thin guy loading the rack between the poly boxes and the rack. We did actually say hello to each other. I did not realise you were on this site.
:good:

LOL yes i was with Dai and his misses ;) what a nice chap he is, just never would up set him.

Well i have to make sure we have a proper chat next time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back