Killifish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If only I could understand them, but then a picture is worth a thousand words..... Do you know where that would be available??

Interesting to watch.....
It is just a gimmic though.
Killi fish eggs are readily available to purchase on the internet.
Aquabid is a good place to get them from, follow the link below.
[URL="http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...&1212939746"]http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...&1212939746[/URL]
Raising the fish is not all that hard. In a container shown in the clip I wouldnt expect you would end up with that many fish, especially Nothobranchius species as the fry can be some what canabalistic!
Eggs dont always have to be shipped in peat. A lot can be sent about in a plastic test tube. Thats how i send my eggs.

Out of all the kits they do how many fish will reach adult size?
Ok the peat may have some micro foods all ready in it, but how many people will be hatching brine shrimp, micro eel's, daphina.
Not every one has the corrct pH either, ok again the peat will help.

Yes it's a total gimmic and a wast of time other that to see some fry appear from almost nothing and the dissapear a few days later.

i would think that that 99% of the fry will resualt in nothing which is a shame, how ever then again it could get a few people more intrested in fish keeping and decide to lurn......... Still i dont like it.

Wow .
didnt that just spark a wee bit of interest lol
and I have to say I'm not really a lover of the commercial make up side myself,
Dont forget with that little jar of eggs, gawd knows how many 12-20 maybe (certainly not a weeks spawn from a notho trio) The LFs could go on to sell BS cysts, cultures, rearing aquaria, air pumps, filters, the list is endless what the LFS could extract from the layman in terms of money, so its purely commercial.
Pretty good way to start out I would say, I started out in killifish way back in 1980 with a more crude type of kit from a then BKA member. and mushroomed into a purpose built fish-house with around 100 tanks. The object in question is not aimed at ardent killphiles but the ordinary lay man. Which may lead onto more folks taking an interest like I did, in this side of the hobby. Obviously its a gimmic alongside Seamonkeys and the likes, but it could spawn something and get an interest going as I've said earlier. As for Aquabid, I dont really like places like that prefer to use contacts rather than pay extortionate prices. but again I suppose it serves a purpose.
BigC

As for Aquabid, I dont really like places like that prefer to use contacts rather than pay extortionate prices. but again I suppose it serves a purpose.
BigC

Basic types on aquabid are necessarily extortionate. Unusual varieties can be pricey but it depends what you want really. It is an extremely good way to get fresh blood and more unusual varieties into the uk as well. I have to admit it can be risky as to whether there are eggs actually in the peat! But then again I have succum to that scam from a couple of uk sellers!!
Contacts are a good way to get fish but they dont always have the ones you want or they dont want to part with ones they have.
I usually nagotiate for more eggs from a seller rather than pay for example just 15 eggs etc.

Well i back the BKA (British Killifish Association) when it comes to getting unusualy fish, was at their last auction in Redditch just a couple of weeks ago. something like 300 pair's of killi there for sale.

www.bka.org.uk

Yep Helter well aware of Redditch auction stats, being kept informed via contacts on mainland.
On the aquabid score, its fine for picking up the odd rarity here and there non-one's condoning that fact. but you are dealing with faceless people. I'm probably lucky in that respect that I can call upon contacts from around the globe and generally find what I want somewhere. I have a very good friend over here and he has been duped by aquabid sellers on more than one occasion so I remain sceptical on those sites. but I re-itterate it does serve a purpose.
Killifish Associations in general are experiencing a downturn in membership and funds are tight. What's the situation on the livebearer front Helter.
Regards
BigC

I must say Tim Addis and Alan Green do a great Charity Auction at Redditch.
It is not a BKA organised event, even though many members attend (such as myself) to attain really good fish. :good:
As you well know there are also members of the BLA, BCA and other fish enthusiasts which is great. Basically the door is open to all, which I think gets some people started to wanting to join such groups.
There were 5 racks full of fish. I should know because i kept loading and unloading the rack! :good: If you visit Tims web site http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/ and click on the yellow box in the left hand corner you can see the report on the event, what fish were available and how reasonable the prices were. My friend and I tell everyone how good Redditch auction is. I consider it the best place to get breeding stock from. As well as being able to sell off my surplus young fish.

As for aquabid... They are not all faceless people, nor all con artists. If you do a little reserch you will find that there are some really good guys there. To be honest, buying fish eggs or any other item always has an element of risk. There are always scammers on buying and selling sides. Thats the risk you take.

I am led to believe that the BLA membership is growing steadily and doing well. Shame the BKA isn't the same.

It is exactly something like this that I need to re- stimulate my interests in the general hobby cause (honestly) I am currently extremely bored with what I'm doing and at with what I'm achieving.... This would boost me into a different (unknown) category... & stimulate my interests... (actually considering giving up completely)

So if anyone knows where this is available, and what the procedures are to obtain someofit.... It will be highly appreciated!!

Hi FM1,
Yeah Tim and AL have always been steady blokes and have been on the scene for eons now. always use Tims site as a reference but hey £17 for N. Rachovi Biera 98 WOW.Must get them going again. LOL and Riv xiphidius only realising £6.
HA HA HA Old Dave Wood's not looking happy at all. No one to argue with I expect LOL
Cheers for that Bud. Forgot about the report.

What exactly are you looking to do Lud.
Dont just give up man, you should have access to wild stock with a bit of travelling.
Get involved breed wild stock folks will snap your hands of for F1s
Do a little research and go on a little mini expedition with your GPS and enter the world of killifish.
Regards
BigC

Exactly what I have in mind Big C, But unfortunately, the GPS option is out of da question.... I'm still of the working class & do not have all the leisure time you're suggesting.....

& Maybe, if I knew exactly what the F1's are,....people might even be snapping at my hands.... This seems like a field I'd like to get involved in, (& I think Killifish will also snap me out of it).... Now!!!!... who sells those starter kits and where can I get ahold of it....(see what you've done)???... You planted a seed in my head!!!!

You planted a seed in my head!!!!
Seeds were already there Lud and you know it.
Ok Bud bare with me on this aspect. Due to it being Winter time over here wait until the spring (not that long really) and I'll rustle up some eggs for ya how's that suit. Best I can do given the seasons. And I'll suss out some kinda fast track mail service if there is one.
Meanwhile, I'll get in touch with Tyrone Grenade for you and see if he can help out here. (same continent, Notho enthusiast)
F1's are first generation fry from wild stock....now you know LOL
Keep in touch
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back