Killifish Hatch Packets

Chuka1212

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok, so I've seen a few mentions of killifish eggs from aquabid or ebay. I have two golden panchax right now that I am trying to breed and I am absolutely LOVING killifish. I have seen these egg hatching packets for sell many a times and have even seriously considered ordering one myself... but has anyone acutally tried it. Many mention it but I havn't heard of anyone trying it... Is it difficult, are the hatch rates typically good, etc etc? If anyone knows, I would appreciate more info...

Hi,
You say that you are having a great time with Aplochelius lineatus. These are considered an easy killifish species to breed and rear not requireing to much input on behalf of their owners. Other types/species of killifish can be quite demanding in their husbandry. I am uncertan as to what you mean by egg packets and I presume you mean just buying eggs. You need to know what eggs you are dealing with. Please advise.

Please read this informative article first.
http://www.aka.org/aka/modules/content/index.php?id=7

Regards BigC

Hi,
You say that you are having a great time with Aplochelius lineatus. These are considered an easy killifish species to breed and rear not requireing to much input on behalf of their owners. Other types/species of killifish can be quite demanding in their husbandry. I am uncertan as to what you mean by egg packets and I presume you mean just buying eggs. You need to know what eggs you are dealing with. Please advise.

Please read this informative article first.
http://www.aka.org/aka/modules/content/index.php?id=7

Regards BigC

Ok, thanks for the reply BigC, you seem to be one of the few killifish guys in the forums. What I meant by hatch packages are yes, buying the eggs, but on ebay and similar sites they usually come with other things like artemia eggs, containers, etc. Here is a link to one such site. The eggs that interest me most would be Rachovii or Eggersi eggs. Are these species relatively easy to rear and keep? By looking at the link, does this package look like it would be satisfactory to hatch the eggs? Obviously a bigger tank would be required to rear them. Thanks again for the input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Killifish-Killi-fish-N...1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've actually also been looking at these within the past few weeks, there seems to be a large selection on ebay.co.uk, see here.

I was considering it...I love the idea of hatching out my own fish like that, I have experience with a few different triops and other brachiopod species, but I would imagine these are more difficult.

So do those kits look good? Which species out of them do you think would be the easiest? And how big a tank would a few need? I wouldn't be hatching all the eggs, since despite what I've read in some of my books (unreliable) I think I remember being told that Nothobranchius don't really do well in a community tank, is this true?

Edit: Actually, after researching a little, I've decided not to use the full kit as it's meant.
I want to get Nothobranchius korthausae 'red' eggs, as I've heard they are good for beginners
I'll hatch them in the tray, but I'll use fairy shrimp for feeding instead of brine shrimp, and after they have hatched I'll put a few snails in.
I'm not going to put all of the eggs in either, that way I shouldent have too many of them...will the eggs last? Or will they die? If I get too much I could just bring them the LFS I guess.
Few more q's:
Why is it that killifish are hatched in such small trays? Is it so there's a bigger concentration of infusoria?
How long after hatching should they stay in the tray?
And what's the recommended tank size for a couple of Nothobranchius korthasae? Will a 5 gallon paludarium be OK? Or can they live in a community tank?

Sorry for all the probably silly questions!

Ok, thanks for the reply BigC, you seem to be one of the few killifish guys in the forums. What I meant by hatch packages are yes, buying the eggs, but on ebay and similar sites they usually come with other things like artemia eggs, containers, etc. Here is a link to one such site. The eggs that interest me most would be Rachovii or Eggersi eggs. Are these species relatively easy to rear and keep? By looking at the link, does this package look like it would be satisfactory to hatch the eggs? Obviously a bigger tank would be required to rear them. Thanks again for the input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Killifish-Killi-fish-N...1QQcmdZViewItem

Right Ok now I see where you are comming from.
Firstly I dont mean to be a killjoy but I have bred and raised both of the species you are keen on and to be quite honest they will present you with some difficulty as the fry are very small and in my estimation and experience they are too small to take brineshrimp nauplii and must be offered smaller food like parmecium/infusorians for the first couple of days atleast. (the fry in that photo on the website is not a newly hatched rachovi fry IMO it is much too big, When I hatch a batch of rachovi fry I need a good strong magnifying glass to be able to see them amongst the peat fibres) If You wish to set out by keeping some African annuals of the Nothobranchius species then I would recommend you go for Nothobranchius guentheri or palmqvisti. Fry rearing will require a little space as the males squabble quite a lot but these two species will present you with much less problems and if you wish to breed from your offspring the the incubation times for their eggs are much shorter.
Regards
BigC

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Three fingers,
Such a lot of question there and I will attempt to answer them in turn,
Yeah Nothos really don't make good community fish best kept in a species tank whereby you can adhere to the correct water parameters etc.
If your a novice then same as above Notho. guentheri or Notho palmqvisti is what I would wet my feet with.
The trays are just a gimmic plastic margarine tubs floated in a tank are the norm.
A small pair of Nothos in a 12"x8"x8" tank is fine with regular waterchanges.
For a start you will never know how many fry you are going to get from a batch some will hatch some wont (look up diapause in annual killifish) the eggs will keep but not indefinately.
If you wish to know more on the complete setup breeding and rearing the drop me a line and I'll do an article similar to my pinned Aphyosemion australe at the top of the page.
Regards
BigC

Thanks BigC, diapause in killifish seems to be the same as in triops, except the eggs don't last nearly as long and they cant dry out completely.

Both of those species you mentioned look cool so I'll start with them during the holidays! I have a 12x12x12 tank that I could put killifish in, it's a planted tank with a large external filter (but very little current because I drilled the spraybar), I'll just try trial and error to see if I hatch out a couple of them using the tray floating (or if I just get the eggs I'll use a margarine tub!), and maybe pass on the eggs to anyone I know who may want them, if too many hatch out I'll grow them to a certain size and take them to the lfs.

An article would be very interesting, but I don't know exactly when I'm going to be doing this other than in the summer so unless other people need to know I'd feel bad if you wrote a whole article! :eek: If these are the best killies to start with an article might be good for others though, I dunno :good:.

Thanks again! Looking forward to trying these fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back