Killifish for 6.6g or Smaller Tank(s)?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gilltyascharged

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Recently I've been thinking about stocking my 6.6g long tank again, and decided I wanted to try something other than Betta splendens for once. While dwarf puffers, anabantoids, and possibly dwarf rasbora have been considered as possible residents, are there any killifish species that do well in a tank that small? I've seen conflicting information online (everything ranging from a 5g minimum to a 20g for a clown killi), and I was curious what more experienced hobbyists had to say.
The "tank(s)" plural in this case would also be a bowfront 5gal. Given that it has more center volume than footprint, I'm going to lean towards it being a no? Was still curious though if that was a viable option.

Thanks in advance for any information!

I think you could keep clown killis in a 5 gallon. What are the dimensions? The thing about clown killis is that they prefer live and frozen food. Also know as the rocket killis, they jump. I had them once and they all jumped out/got eaten. They will most likely be very small when you get them, in my experience.

I think you could keep clown killis in a 5 gallon. What are the dimensions? The thing about clown killis is that they prefer live and frozen food. Also know as the rocket killis, they jump. I had them once and they all jumped out/got eaten. They will most likely be very small when you get them, in my experience.
I remember reading about them being big jumpers! The tank is a 16" long/8.5" deep/11.2" tall--I have a fitted lid, with a hole in the corner custom made for my HOB filter (which I will likely be sticking a sponge in to not only slow the flow but to cover up the additional openings).

I've been a killie breeder for 30+ years, and have a fair amount of experience. As long as you have a lid, and do regular water changes, a 5 gallon is fine for many species. I prefer pairs in 10s, but have used 5s a lot. My beef with them isn't so much for the fish, but for my big hands making water changes a pain. The whole lid has to come off and sometimes, frightened fish jump.

So what fish? Pairs of Aphyosemion generally do fine. Smaller Epiplatys too, and Nothobranchius can be kept and bred in small tanks. I have less experience with South American killies, and North American and Asian killies are too large for a 5. Middle eastern and European ones are too aggressive. But peaceful little central and western African ones are fine.

I've been a killie breeder for 30+ years, and have a fair amount of experience. As long as you have a lid, and do regular water changes, a 5 gallon is fine for many species. I prefer pairs in 10s, but have used 5s a lot. My beef with them isn't so much for the fish, but for my big hands making water changes a pain. The whole lid has to come off and sometimes, frightened fish jump.

So what fish? Pairs of Aphyosemion generally do fine. Smaller Epiplatys too, and Nothobranchius can be kept and bred in small tanks. I have less experience with South American killies, and North American and Asian killies are too large for a 5. Middle eastern and European ones are too aggressive. But peaceful little central and western African ones are fine.
Thank you! I appreciate the help :D

Generally I put my residents in a small container during cleanings (especially in my nanos, where there is less room to hide), and have a nice travel carrier and/or gallon ice cream buckets with lids that would work nicely for that purpose.

Do you think I would need to change the decor or substrate? So far I have the 6.6 gal leaning towards the start of heavy planted jungle-style, and have smooth white gravel...while I know killies are typically top-dwellers, would the substrate matter all that much?

On a side note: I've thought about breeding in the past--I have a couple of friends who share a love for fishkeeping, but due to our age are stuck with mainly nano species 😅
Is it worth it? I know there's a LFS in my area (if you ever stop in the Midwest, Grofin Aquatics is a must-see) that sells fish from local breeders, not to mention has a vendors board. However, most traffic goes towards the local Petco and PetSmart in the area (which I doubt would take any fry due to them being corporations)...just a side thought, might discuss it further in a seperate thread.

Having killies is easy, Getting them is murder.

Usually, you track down breeders, and get them sent. It's not easy at the time of year that's starting now.

Stores sell Aplocheilus lineatus, the golden wonder, a huge predatory killie from Asia - good for large tanks only. Really good stores can special order a couple of species of Aphyosemion, usually australe, gabunense or striatum, all of which would suit your tank. But they aren't regularly stocked in the US or Canada. In Europe, yes. But in Europe, there are still hobbyist breeders, In the US, even in the associations dedicated to breeding and conservation, everyone is a buyer and no one sells. It takes some looking.

The American Killifish Association is a shell with affiliate groups, but your country is big, and there is no national presence for getting killies anymore. I don't know about Iowa - there could be local breeders close by.

Gravel is fine - I have it in all my tanks. I also keep my Aphyosemions in heavily planted tanks. Fry appear with the parents, who usually aren't predatory. It's older siblings that are predators for a period of their lives, so you don't get over-run as with guppies.

Stores sell Aplocheilus lineatus, the golden wonder, a huge predatory killie from Asia - good for large tanks only. Really good stores can special order a couple of species of Aphyosemion, usually australe, gabunense or striatum, all of which would suit your tank. But they aren't regularly stocked in the US or Canada. In Europe, yes. But in Europe, there are still hobbyist breeders, In the US, even in the associations dedicated to breeding and conservation, everyone is a buyer and no one sells. It takes some looking.
I know the guy at Grofin will not only special-order certain species, but almost always has Ps. annulatus and A. lineatus on hand. Most transactions between local breeders occur on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc., but oftentimes there is no guarantee that you are getting fish from a responsible breeder.

Gravel is fine - I have it in all my tanks. I also keep my Aphyosemions in heavily planted tanks.
Do most killies thrive in planted tanks or do they prefer a different setup?

There are more killie set ups than you can imagine - more killies too. Forget the word 'killies'. I can say Aphyosemions like planted tanks. Epiplatys like annulatus do, if the surface is accessible.

A lineatus are like giant Epiplatys - not for your tanks.

Check here: https://aka.org/!area_Affiliates/wak/Genera_Index.htm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back