Killi Eggs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

afishdude

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
i saw on ebay that you can buy all kinds of different killi eggs then hatch them, does this really work? or ist it a wast of money.

Yes it dose work and been a staple way of getting killi's for over 30 years.

You just need to know how to rear them and have loads of live foods to maintain them.

Yeah rearing can prove difficult and as usual the most apealling species can turn out to be the most demanding.
This does work and it is the way I first started long before the internet, I contacted an advert in the old Aquarist and Pondkeeper magazine for Aph, Striatum.
I raised 4 fish from 20 eggs. (not bad for a novice I thought) and I've been hooked ever since.
Regards
BigC
Drop us a line if you are going to take the plunge, and let us know what species interests you so as we can offer further advice.

read my thread. They're not easy, and you have to be quite dedicated.

those are they same fish arnt they......

so how are they doing? was it harder or easer than you thought.
and was it the same seller??? was he easy to work with?
sorry for all the questions, im trying to learn.

those are they same fish arnt they......

so how are they doing? was it harder or easer than you thought.
and was it the same seller??? was he easy to work with?
sorry for all the questions, im trying to learn.

Don't worry about the questions, it's good to ask!

Yes, they are hard to raise. Seeing them is hard enough, feeding them is harder, and knowing what equipment to have is harder yet.
The seller was very easy to work with. However, don't count on getting 50 eggs. I counted 10 in my batch, and the number of fry reflects that, I have about 7 or 8. I'm going to contact the seller about this.

For a first timer I would recommend any of the Gardneri species as they are less prone to velvet and also develop far quicker. Northo's are quite small and not as hardy as adults I find.

i have raised many livebarers, corys, bettas, and goldifish before. i have a huge vinegar eel culture in my basement, and i hatch bbs every day.
how hard would it be to raise them with those foods? do they need anything smaller than vinegar eels?

should i find another seller of trust that one?

They will require infusorian/paramecium for the first few days then onto newly hatched brineshrimp and microworm. (I mean newly hatched brineshrimp because day old brineshrimp nauplii will have doubled in size and lost a certain amount of nutritional value) Vinegar eels are OK but I find them a little bit messy to work with and as the stay near the surface I only use them for Ps. annulatus and surface loving fry. They (eggersi) will grow quite quickly being annuals so I would suggest you get hold of both a grindal and whiteworm culture for future feeding. Vestigal and Wingless Fruitfly cultures are also an excellent food source for Nothos, but not every fishkeeper can be bothered with the maintenance of such food. Nothobranchius species in my honest opinion do not do well on flake and dry foodstuffs if you can get them to totally accept them on the first place. So provision for culturing or purchasing you own livefood is and essential part of the husbandary for this particular species.
Regards
BigC

Possibly, but offer infusoria alongside to avoid any mishaps.

ok, im thinking of trying this after i raise and sell all my betta fry.

You'll be fine....

If you have newly (as in just now) hatched artemia, they will take that - put loads in, and keep an apple snail with them. He will eat any left over shrimp. Paraomecium are only needed for the really small nothos (janpapi etc)

Then in 3 days or so, the fry will be big enough for grindal worms
Growth is rapid - they eat a lot - you want to see big fat bulging pink bellies

Separate any that get too big too quick to avoid canibalism

If you have mastered artemia, you are half way there

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back