Killfish question

dwhite93

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Aphyosemion australe killfish? I have a freshwater community tank and am thinking of adding this type of killfish. From what i read online, they are supposed to be peaceful & friendly, but most all of the other killfish varities were categorized as aggressive or semi-aggressive. does anyone know if this variety is OK to add to a community tank?
Thanks!

I'm not too sure
I have wanted to get some myself. I guess it depends on the tank size somewhat. If there is quite a bit of hiding/swimming room a semi aggressive may do o.k. Maybe not so much when they get ready to breed. I have heard they pretty much like live food though. May want to keep that in mind. Haven't kept these guys yet so I can't give you a whole lot of info. sorry about that.

Killies are best kept in pairs in small tanks (about 5 to 10 gallons), i cant imagine them being aggressive as they are so small but they do require a little more attention than normal community fish, they are very sensative to water conditiions.

CFC- arent Killi's relatively short lived (as in months?) I dont know for sure but i think i read around here before...?

Yes most killie fish only live for about a year at most, in the wild they live in tiny seasonal pools of water (sometimes even a elephants foot print!) so have to live a speeded up life so they can leave the eggs of the next generation.

I bred gold australe years ago. They were in there own 5 gallon tank. I would not think they would bother other fish.

Can you buy killfish live at an aquarium shop, or do you have to hatch them yourself?

Ive seen them sold live at a couple'a stores....but from what I gather you can order them from people on the 'net and they hold up fairly well.

Most reactions

Back