Khuli Loaches

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gilli

Gilli
Reaction score
Have just bought x 6 tiny Khulis - anyone got any idea how fast they grow?

Have just bought x 6 tiny Khulis - anyone got any idea how fast they grow?

There awesome fish, Am not sure how fast they grow but they do get to a good 4 inches but apart from that. That's it really :p

Ive not seen much of them since I put them in the tank last Monday! At the moment they are only about 4cm long and skinny! Hoping they grow quick so I will at least notice them when they come out!

Ive not seen much of them since I put them in the tank last Monday! At the moment they are only about 4cm long and skinny! Hoping they grow quick so I will at least notice them when they come out!

They love hiding spots! The more the better, They'll get relaxed and such over time, Once they feel abit braver you'll see them out a lot more.

How wide are they? They always made their way into my filter I had to put them in a tank with an internal filter

If they are always hiding add more places for them to hide, and they will come out more as they feel if they need to they can dart to a quick hiding spot if scared. Or add more, this ,might make them feel safer to come out.
I have 10 in my tank and they are very cool.

How wide are they? They always made their way into my filter I had to put them in a tank with an internal filter

Thanks for the tip, i have an external filter so will look out for them when im changing my polishing pads!
good.gif

They'll live for awhile at least, I didnt see my last kuhli for about two weeks and I found him yesterday in the bottom of my canister still kicking

Kuhlis will live up to 10+ years, and grow more slowly as they age. As everyone else mentioned, the more hidey holes, the better. Caves, PVC pipes, decor, rocks, rocky cave formations, under broad leafed plants, in plants, under catappa almond leaves, and under driftwood.
From description, they sound like juveniles. They will be shy, and won't venture out up to 2+ weeks. They will usually be more active during the night, but can be taught to come out during the day.

Avoid bright lights, or even better, if you have bright lights, get moonlights and a timer. Set the moonlights to come on about 5-10 minutes before the main lights. This will give them a chance to adjust to the light and not be spooked by a sudden burst of light.

What other fish are in the tank, how big, and is there sand?

You will enjoy these little guys so much, I absolutely love them. They will always surprise you, and each kuhli has its own personality. It's even more fun to learn to identify them and give them names. I have 5, and I can tell them all aprt. They are Leo, Lily, Luke, Luna, and Lorelei :wub:

Try feeding them protein rich foods. They will enjoy them, and it will help them grow. Frozen bloodworms, brineshrimp, mysis shrimp, and tubifex worms will be good. As well as a good staple food. They also simply adore cooked peas. They go absolutely bonkers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHsyBCtNVso&list=UU7s40nMnAGlQukUspscHIRA&index=2&feature=plcp

I got a dozen in a 10 gallon, its awesome when the lights ping on, they go bonkers and smash into the glass and wriggle like mad. I cant help but stand there turning the light on and off dozens of times. Disco disco disco disco

Tizer why on earth would you do that? It's unnecessarily cruel.....that damages their eyes :eek:

I got a dozen in a 10 gallon, its awesome when the lights ping on, they go bonkers and smash into the glass and wriggle like mad. I cant help but stand there turning the light on and off dozens of times. Disco disco disco disco

surely you jest ?

Tizer, if you really are hurting your kuhlis, I'll lose all respect!
angry.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back