keepiong an algae free tank - help needed

merovingian

Reaction score
right, I'm moving house and I need some tips on the best position for my tank to keep it algae free, also could use some tips on other ways to keep it free of algae (fish that eat it, different grave or sand etc) Any tips would be helpful, thanks!

:) The best place is not in direct sunlight. Mine is in the middle of the room and the sun doesnt hit the tank at all.

Its the NitrAtes that feed Algae so if there high algae grow liek rabbits mate lol (correct me if im wrong on this guys..... not the rabbit bit pmsl...)

If you can keep the nitrates down you starve the algae that way it cant grow.

Have your lights on about 8 hours a day.

Plecos eat algae.

hope this helps a bit.

thanks very much for that - all good stuff.

Plecos - (sorry stupid question time - I am a beginner) thats a kind of catfish isn't it?

Anymore tips anyone?

check your tap water phosphates levels.

This plays a MAJOR role in the algae problem.

Yes, plecos are catfish. Unfortunately, most grow too large for your average aquarium and they are very messy fish. Bristlenose plecos are an exception and quite easy to find as well. IMO, however, fish like otos, flying foxes and SIAMESE algae eaters are better choices for removing algae.

there are lots of small plecs (eg 6" or less) BUT most of the smaller ones wont eat your algae.

As said Bristlenoses are perfect though - 5" max and love algae ;)

have a look at the 50L tank on my site for some pics ;)

fantastic stuff, thanks guys - ive been told that getting a clown loach or two would be a good idea too, just to keep the snails down, any thoughts?

ive a algae free tank 240 ltrs in total, my mollies just seam to love munching the algea and making babies in the meantime.

Mine get's allot of sunlight and there's never an algae problem.

Keeping Nitrate & Phosphate down seems to help, I use plants in the tank and a pothos (a terrestrial, vine type plant) growing bare root in gravel and filter cloth in the filter water to absorb them. It's a fertilizer for the plants and they seem to love it.

It's equipped with a UV sterilizer that kills algae as it cycles through, and a pleco who likes to run around grabbing up the little bits that make their way past. I even drop large amounts of algae tabs in for him to eat, because there's never anything visible for him to eat.

The water is crystal clear, algae simply will not grow in my tank.

Good Luck.

Thanks for that everyone- you're all really helpful! :cool:

next question How do you calculate how many litres your taks hold - ive seen loads of posts from people sayin "i have a ## litre tank" how do you find that out?

merovingian said:
right, I'm moving house and I need some tips on the best position for my tank to keep it algae free, also could use some tips on other ways to keep it free of algae (fish that eat it, different grave or sand etc) Any tips would be helpful, thanks!
The trick is to start a tank with loads of plants, provide good substrate (I use clay, vermiculite topped with sand), atleast 2W/gal lighting and good filtration. Include fish like mollys, SAE, shrimp etc. to keep the tank clean from the start.

Change water every week and provide some form of liquid fertiliser. Do not overfeed the fish and you should have an algae free tank !!!

well in my house i have my tank in a perfect spot. It is right between two windows that are covered by a overhang. Very little algae.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back