Keeping Water Cold

diVer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Is there some piece of equipment like a heater that keeps water cold in a coldwater aquarium. My family wants me to set up a tank someday with native fish, do you just leave the water at room temperature, it seems like this would be too hot.

What is your room tempature? I don't do anyting with the tank I have, if it's warmer in the summer then so be it to a certain extent. I think it's kinda natural too.

My tank is at 70F at the moment, but in my other tank when it was cold it was at 73F which was only 2 off my tropical tank.

HTH

Right now it's a little under 70 deg. F, it can get warmer with the woodstove on though, and it also gets really hot in the summer.

akhtar said:
i know sumthin, al u need is:
a fridge
a ice cube tray
and some water !!!
:no:

The water needs to be kept at a fairly constant tempature. Fluctuations will cause a lot of stress and could leave them more open to disease.

you can get a chiller. these are designed for marine aquaria which have a lot of pumps and lights which easly overheat the tank but these retail at £300 upwards. the best thing to do would be to get a heat plate exchanger plumbed into the coldwater supply and this will cool the tank down to the supply of the cold water to the house if you need it to. these are a lot cheaper at around £100 and will do over 1000litres. another option would to get a garden pond or use an existing one. get a beefy pump and run coils of tube along the bottom of the pond so that the whole bottom of the pond is covered. then, pump the aquarium water through this and back into the tank and this will give you a constant cool temperature. this works even better in a stream but most people don't ave astream at the end of the garden so that can be difficult.

ste :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back