Keeping Goldfish At Tropical Temps

AngelOfDeath

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, what are the effects of keeping goldies@ around 32-34 degrees? does anyone do this?

I really wouldn't reccomend it. I know some people may say they'll be able to cope but that's at the very limit of temps that they can live in. Are you thinking of putting them in with tropicals? I've known people who did this and things did not go well, the goldfish ate the other fish :p

You may get away with the lower end of tropical, 22/23 degrees say, as they do come from Chinas warm waters originally, but they have been bred for so long to be a coldwater fish that to be honest it's best not to try it. And 32-34 degrees celcius is FAR too warm.

nope just goldies, they are common and the thread on this site says 32 max, so i doubt i will have any worries, cheers

goldfish arent a true coldwater species, this belongs to trout and salmon.

goldfish are temperate water fish which means fluctuation. they can survive at most temperatures. the colder end of the thermometer they slow down and can go torpid through the coldest months (the exception being wakin, which can be seen swimming around under ice in the coldest months). at the other end they grow faster and need constant care, such as more oxygen and high energy food. goldies can and do live the warmer end of the temperature scale, but the metabolic rate is speeded up. whether this means a shorter life i dont know.
and in china and japan, all types of goldies and koi are bred in different regions, not necessarily hot.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back