Juwel 190l Trigon - First Ever Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DGJ

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I've taken the jump into Aquarium life a few weeks ago and picked up a used Juwel 190L Trigon and set it up at home, used the old media and filter to cycle the tank and have begun stocking it with aFancy Goldfish as the main fish and some other complimentary fish.

Loving the journey so far!!! It's also very addictive have nearly bought a 450L on numerous occasions and have to keep reminding myself to finish the first one first!!!! Will be looking at maybe setting up a single Betta tank but will put a question on that later.

This is the tank so far and it has the below in it, all fish are quite small as I wanted to see the journey and watch them grow:

1 x Black Moor Goldfish
1 x Oranda Goldfish
1 x Telescopic Goldfish
1 x Koi (Tiny)
1 x Yoyo Loach
7 x Congo Tetra

My plan is to stock the below:

1 x Veil Tail Goldfish
1 x Would love suggestions on the coolest goldfish to get?
6 x Yoyo Loach - would like to have the little fella in there with some more of his own kind
2 x Hoplo Catfish
3 x Hillstream Pleco

Would love to get any thoughts, recommendations on the above?

Also I have a questions, my tetras just all school together right at the bottom back of the tank which is a little frustrating and I wanted to see them ideally.

Attachments

• b8bb65f0-41ad-4e95-988c-f41a3a950a87.JPG
    b8bb65f0-41ad-4e95-988c-f41a3a950a87.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8643.JPG
    IMG_8643.JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8645.JPG
    IMG_8645.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 78
Hey Everyone,

So I've taken the jump into Aquarium life a few weeks ago and picked up a used Juwel 190L Trigon and set it up at home, used the old media and filter to cycle the tank and have begun stocking it with aFancy Goldfish as the main fish and some other complimentary fish.

Loving the journey so far!!! It's also very addictive have nearly bought a 450L on numerous occasions and have to keep reminding myself to finish the first one first!!!! Will be looking at maybe setting up a single Betta tank but will put a question on that later.

This is the tank so far and it has the below in it, all fish are quite small as I wanted to see the journey and watch them grow:

1 x Black Moor Goldfish
1 x Oranda Goldfish
1 x Telescopic Goldfish
1 x Koi (Tiny)
1 x Yoyo Loach
7 x Congo Tetra

My plan is to stock the below:

1 x Veil Tail Goldfish
1 x Would love suggestions on the coolest goldfish to get?
6 x Yoyo Loach - would like to have the little fella in there with some more of his own kind
2 x Hoplo Catfish
3 x Hillstream Pleco

Would love to get any thoughts, recommendations on the above?

Also I have a questions, my tetras just all school together right at the bottom back of the tank which is a little frustrating and I wanted to see them ideally.
Your goldfish are cute!!
theyre probably stressed if its not cold water chiclids and not be able to pair with goldfish.
you should add more artificial or real plants (get goldifsh proof plants IN POT so they dont eat it or uproot)
maybe they will be less scared with more cover as it would be kind of scary to be a tiny fish with some monster goldfish...

That's ALOT of bioload for a 50G tank....goldfish need around 30G EACH...and the congos need a larger footprint

HEy Slaphppy - I was told and read it was 20g fir first goldfish and 10g there after? Is that wrong?

What should I do if it's too high? Is it too high now or with the potential stocking list is too high?

HEy Slaphppy - I was told and read it was 20g fir first goldfish and 10g there after? Is that wrong?

What should I do if it's too high? Is it too high now or with the potential stocking list is too high?
More tanks, or rehome some of the fish

Use this tool, enter your info for the current stocking, and see what results you get...it isn't perfect, but it's a decent guide for stocking: http://www.aqadvisor.com/

As was mentioned in another thread, congo tetras - and yoyo loaches - are tropical fish which should not be kept in the same tank as cold water fish. The tetras could well be too cold.

Yes I've seen that, it looks like I have been given bad advice in the shop.

I'm going to go out this week and get a 60L tank and then cycle it.

Will the fish be ok in the tank for a few weeks until I have managed to buy and cycle the new one?

On that note, I don't want to make any mistakes again. Once I get the 60L and stock it with the 7 Tetras and 6 Yoyo Loach. Can I stock more and if I can, are there any suggestions please?

A new tank is the way to go - but both congo tetras and yoyo loaches need a bigger tank than 60 litres as they need a swimming length of at least 120 cm.

More tanks, or rehome some of the fish

Use this tool, enter your info for the current stocking, and see what results you get...it isn't perfect, but it's a decent guide for stocking: http://www.aqadvisor.com/
Thanks for this, it's a great website, wish I had found it before as it tells me there that the fish aren't compatible.

Once I re-home the tetra's and loach. I will have 3 small goldfish and a small Koi. Could I get some stocking suggestions please?

Ideally wanted a set of schooling fish and a couple of catfish

Given the shape of this tank, in my opinion it is fully stocked with just 3 goldfish. The koi will outgrow this tank as they are big fish. The goldfish may also outgrow it depending on whether they have tails like other fish or double tails (double tailed goldfish don't grow as big as single tailed).

.goldfish need around 30G EACH

I was told and read it was 20g fir first goldfish and 10g there after?

The usual recommendation is indeed 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons for each additional fish, 100 litres for the first fish and 50 litres for each additional fish, but that's for a standard rectangular tank. This is a triangular curved tank with the straight sides being only 70 cm/27.6 inches long and 60 cm/24 inches tall which is not ideal for 5 potentially large fish.

Correction - I got the tank size wrong so I have amended it.

Last edited:
The usual recommendation is indeed 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons for each additional fish, but that's for a standard rectangular tank. This is a triangular curved tank with the straight sides being only 70 cm/27.6 inches long and 60 cm/24 inches tall which is not ideal for 5 potentially large fish.
Ok great - thanks, I'm glad I joined here before I went too far down the journey of stocking.

So with the shape of this tank should I stop at the 3 Fancy Goldfish? What could I stock with them?

Given the shape of this tank, in my opinion it is fully stocked with just 3 goldfish. The koi will outgrow this tank as they are big fish. The goldfish may also outgrow it depending on whether they have tails like other fish or double tails (double tailed goldfish don't grow as big as single tailed).
They are fancy goldfish so they won't grow as large as the common.

Will look to re-home the Koi into a friends pond when he is too big

I would not keep anything with them, they will fill the tank on their own. Have a look at the photos in this thread

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back