Just not loving it

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

More floating plants. Their roots will look great hanging down alongside the vertical branches once they’ve grown in.

Perhaps I need to tweak the locations of the woods. The arch piece maybe off to the far right, with the trunks leading to it...

I really like the wood pieces, you have the bones of a really lovely tank there.
Personally, I would try moving the wood around into different arrangements. Stand back, take a photo, and see what you think. Try another arrangement, repeat until you have a few looks that you like and can choose from.

For my taste, the wood pieces look a little too evenly spaced out. Like a human arranged them perfectly evenly, rather than they occurred that way in nature, you know? I would try shifting the arched piece further to the right, but not the far right. About a third of the way across the tank from the right hand side. Then shift the other pieces around in different places. A couple that are close together, some more spaced out, but unevenly, or maybe leading towards that arched piece.

Have a look at the rule of thirds. Decide what you want the focal point to be - the first thing you want to draw the eye. I think you're aiming for the arched piece to be the main draw? like the arched wood with a huge plant, or the arched piece in a clearing area, then place that either in the centre, either side, or a third of the way along the tank. Then work around that focus area, and the rest falls into place more easily.

I think it'll look great no matter what you go for, but hope this helps!

Tried to vary up the positions of the trunks. Hard to slant them as theyre not fully sinkable yet. Added a little bit of moss to one stump at least.

Removed the tattered wisteria, left me with 2 nice stems.

I think I'm going to take the anubias suggestion to accent the trunks in a few places

View attachment 110579
Was just taking another look, and that arched piece is in exactly the spot I would put it. The lovely, sorta twisted piece in the centre is fighting for the focus though. Either piece would make a great focal point, but as it is, the eye doesn't know whether to go to the twisted branch or the arch. I would try putting them together in different arrangements where the arched piece is. Maybe the twisted one right behind it, and a nice big anubius between them. That would draw the eye right to that third of the tank. Then play with the more straight pieces, maybe one more on that side, then dot the rest with different spacings around the other two thirds of the tank.

I would personally remove some of the driftwood going straight up and down, it looks unnatural. I will upload an edited picture of what I think should be removed/added, but that will be for later - as im on my PC right now. ;)

For an aesthetically pleasing scape, I use the rule of 3rds. (It's not really a rule...more like a guideline) Think in terms of focal points: Spots that draw the eye. Focal points can be hard structures (rocks or wood structures) or large accent plants. For your scape, a particularly interesting piece of wood, or an intersection of several, would form a great focal point.

Put a focal point about 1/3 of the way in from the side of the tank around 2/3 the height. For a bigger tank, I like a primary focal point on the left, and a secondary focal point on the right, 1/3 the height of the tank.

It makes a natural-looking but coherent scape.

scaping 1.png

Something like this, with a wood structure as a primary focus and a really interesting plant (or rock, or pot, or more wood--just anything that sort of draws the eye into the scene) as a secondary focal point. These points get one's attention initially, drawing the viewer's eye into all the other interesting but more subtle plants and such waiting in the background.

scaping 2.png

For an aesthetically pleasing scape, I use the rule of 3rds. (It's not really a rule...more like a guideline) Think in terms of focal points: Spots that draw the eye. Focal points can be hard structures (rocks or wood structures) or large accent plants. For your scape, a particularly interesting piece of wood, or an intersection of several, would form a great focal point.

Put a focal point about 1/3 of the way in from the side of the tank around 2/3 the height. For a bigger tank, I like a primary focal point on the left, and a secondary focal point on the right, 1/3 the height of the tank.

View attachment 110601
Something like this, with a wood structure as a primary focus and a really interesting plant (or rock, or pot, or more wood--just anything that sort of draws the eye into the scene) as a secondary focal point. These points get one's attention initially, drawing the viewer's eye into all the other interesting but more subtle plants and such waiting in the background.

View attachment 110605
Given that someone already mentioned the twisty branch in the middle drawing their eyes and the arched log, perhaps ill use those to do this.

Keep the arched log where its at, but move the twisty branch over for the taller focal point... use 2 tall vertical stumps and i will collect some smaller ones to accent around them.

Once I'm feeling better anyways, so maybe next week.

View attachment 110601

View attachment 110605
Thinking:
IMG_20200724_114429.jpg

Pardon my finger drawing off my phone lol
Dark greens on the hardscape is moss and anubias

I agree with @seangee, @Retired Viking, @PheonixKingZ, @WhistlingBadger, and @AdoraBelle Dearheart .... I think a rearrangement of some of your driftwood so that they are LESS evenly spaced and fewer peices being vertical would make the scape look more natural... Adding stones of differing sizes and colors would also help.

Think of it this way... If you want to create a natural looking scape, think about how driftwood would naturally float and settle in a river. It would float and be carried by the current until it ended up catching on some other wood or rocks or sinking in an area of slower current and end up in a tangle with other peices of driftwood and possibly rocks. It is unlikely that several pieces of driftwood would sink vertically within equal distances from one another. It is more likely that most peices would sink horizontally with some peices leaning on others and those might be more vertical... Hope this makes sense?:)

Also, as others have mentioned, your plants just need time to grow! They look great so far, but will look amazing once they get bigger!!

Last edited:
I would personally do this:
35A8E7FA-145D-4477-A69F-63FC0C4D9814.jpeg

Red = Remove
Lightest Green = Anacharis stems
Medium Green = Anubias or Java Fern
Darkest Green = Java Moss

You may also want to add a bigger piece of driftwood in either the back right, or back left and corner.

I put driftwood in those places to sort of “fill in” what plants don’t.

I would personally do this:
View attachment 110632
Red = Remove
Lightest Green = Anacharis stems
Medium Green = Anubias or Java Fern
Darkest Green = Java Moss

You may also want to add a bigger piece of driftwood in either the back right, or back left and corner.

I put driftwood in those places to sort of “fill in” what plants don’t.
Check out the newer layout posted :)

And no Java fern, I cant keep it alive lol

Okay here is the updated scape.

20200724_202009.jpg

I plan on collecting more vals for the background for most of the length of the tank.

In the red circles im thinking some anubias. Lanceolata would be my first choice if it's in stock when I order, if not I will pick the next best
20200724_202009.jpg

Okay here is the updated scape.

View attachment 110669

I plan on collecting more vals for the background for most of the length of the tank.

In the red circles im thinking some anubias. Lanceolata would be my first choice if it's in stock when I order, if not I will pick the next best
View attachment 110676
I really like it! Think it looks much more natural, and will look amazing when all the plants are in there and filling out.
But more importantly - how are you feeling about the new scape? Do you like it more now?

Looks much better. I still recommend getting some Anacharis for the back. (And 2 corners)

It really helps fill in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back