FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
2x Tank of the Month🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I'm not really happy with this scape, but not really sure where I want to go with it.

Thoughts?
20200723_170020.jpg

Pardon the low water level, its not really got a lid on one half, so lots of evaporation between water changes and i havent gotten around to topping it off before the photo was taken.

Why don’t you get some java moss for the drift? Abit more than last colour would make it pop too. But really I think it looks really cool

Why don’t you get some java moss for the drift? Abit more than last colour would make it pop too. But really I think it looks really cool
I've got a little bit in there, but its still small. I can work on adding a bit more, but I want to be sure I'm happy with the driftwood placements before I secure any moss to the logs

I'm debating moving the middle clump of ludwigia over to the left with the wisteria and hygro.

Though I'm not happy with my wisteria, been fighting it for over a year to grow well and it just won't. I'll probably opt to replace it with more hygrophila polysperma instead...

I agree moss on the wood and maybe some other epiphite plants like Anubias and Bucephalandra. Some tall plants like Valis, Crinium or some of the taller species of Cryptocoryne around the back would be good too. Some shorter growing grass type plants like Sagitaria would look good too or Helenthium Tenelum?

Wills

I agree moss on the wood and maybe some other epiphite plants like Anubias and Bucephalandra. Some tall plants like Valis, Crinium or some of the taller species of Cryptocoryne around the back would be good too. Some shorter growing grass type plants like Sagitaria would look good too or Helenthium Tenelum?

Wills
Can't do short grassy plants. My hoplos and cories dig those right out. I tried haha

I have some American vals in the back, I started them as super tiny sprouts 2 weeks ago, you can see the size now and they've sent out lots of runners.... i plan to keep those as my tall background plants once they fill in more.

It might just be a waiting game I really love this style of tank but think some of the plants you have already talked about just need to grow in. I think getting the right scale of fish could help too, your hoplos once up to adult size will look great swimming between the trunks.

Have you thought about a plain black background to up the contrast too?

It might just be a waiting game I really love this style of tank but think some of the plants you have already talked about just need to grow in. I think getting the right scale of fish could help too, your hoplos once up to adult size will look great swimming between the trunks.

Have you thought about a plain black background to up the contrast too?
they wont grow to the full huge 8" size of more common hoplo species, their species is hoplosternum punctatum, a less common species in the hobby, grow to only 3". I got a trio in there and they're fun little guys who hang with the cories a lot.

I thought about the black background, but I have that on all my tanks so find it a little different to have the rock sheet lol.

Perhaps I need to tweak the locations of the woods. The arch piece maybe off to the far right, with the trunks leading to it...

But the swords on the far right I think I'm going to remove. Just not fitting this tank. I'll put them in my 46 instead with the parent plants.

Some plants just won't grow. My wisteria is one. I actually have had it so long I've begun to legit just hate it. Won't grow nice. Decides to grow emersed underwater all the time then just melts, then gets holes in the leaves and just never looks nice. I've had it over a year and that pathetic clump in the far left is what I got.

But in a few days I am buying some more plants for my bettas tank, ill toss in a couple extra plants for this tank too. More hygro if I can for sure, but ill see if they have any good anubias for a larger tank too.

I got rid of my main wisteria because it was just growing to much and throwing shoots out everywhere. I do have it in the shrimp tank and it grows well but steadily not like in the main tank. I think a black background would make it look amazing tbh, abit more rustic with all that drift in there. Maybe do the back ground and try and scape again if you need too

I got rid of my main wisteria because it was just growing to much and throwing shoots out everywhere. I do have it in the shrimp tank and it grows well but steadily not like in the main tank. I think a black background would make it look amazing tbh, abit more rustic with all that drift in there. Maybe do the back ground and try and scape again if you need too
I'll try it out, just gotta get the materials for that.

This is a 55g so may need several bristol boards haha

Tried to vary up the positions of the trunks. Hard to slant them as theyre not fully sinkable yet. Added a little bit of moss to one stump at least.

Removed the tattered wisteria, left me with 2 nice stems.

I think I'm going to take the anubias suggestion to accent the trunks in a few places

20200723_213305.jpg

I would move the heater to the rear and put high plants or some driftwood in front of it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back