Just in case it’s worms... should I treat the tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
As some of you have advised me before you might remember I have some trouble with my guppies. My first batch of guppies have progressively sickened and died with just 1 remaining of the first 6 after 4 months. The first 3 deaths I put down to ammonia spikes as I struggled to keep my water quality stable. The remaining 3 got progressively thinner despite eating well and stable water. Last night one died emaciated and prolapsed and the one remaining fish is tiny, skinny and being nipped by the healthy guppies. I suspect they were a genetically weak batch that were stressed too much initially but I’m also considering the possibility of parasites as they ate but got thinner. I have seen no sign of parasites other than white stringy poop and weight loss. Would a worm treatment be a good idea just in case?

It depends on how valuable those fish are to you, are you willing to sacrifice them if it does not work? Do you do nothing and replace the lot? Tough issues we can not make right for you, we can just share info....
Here is what I have learned, though I admit I am new to guppies, but been keeping fish for years..
When fish poop is stringy white/pale, then probably have some internal parasite. Same with sunken gut, humpy backs, general lack to thrive.... Yup.... I offer what I did...this could work for others.... I was not having any real problems, some tetras just looked old, and skinny, ate fine- but decided to treat ALL my populated tanks because I was planning to add new fish to quarantine tanks... and want the best for all, some tanks are "breeding for profit" (yeah right, another thread, there....) ANYWAY!
All treated with API General Cure .... complete course and water changes, existing fish were no longer just living, I see them starting to thrive.
New fish are quarantined (4 tanks) for 30 days. All Treated with API General Cure. All guppies, except one tank has some baby plecos. However, one tank started to clamp and shimmy the day after last water change from General Cure, followed up with API Fuval2, ran the course of treatment and now they seem fine. Every one is about 11 days in, treatments complete ALL healthy, two tanks have babies (cant move them, we are in quarantine), but all is good!
I feed a wide variety of foods, fresh frozen, various variety of flake, live, and just got Doug Grays hi protein blend he sells on AquaBid, in the mail today (excited)! I feed 3 or 4 + meals a day, some times more, but tiny servings, so that also helps survival of the babies, signals the fish to breed , since food is quite plentiful, and avoids waste.
I change about 25-50% for water each week in most tanks. I have a 40gal pre conditioning tank, where I treat there, and then move it to the tanks so less shock to fish, having removed chlorine and heavy metals (API Tap water conditioner)
I hope this helps in some way
(corny video - but gives you something to laugh at!!!)
DSCN6941_Moment.jpg

PIC is my multi color Grass tails
Very nice grass tails. Thankyou for taking the time to reply. I am looking into getting a general purpose treatment. API general cure I would have to order transatlantic but there are others I can get here. I worry that the tank is now infected not just a couple of fish.

TY! I can see lots of opportunity with them, and the breeder is not too far away!
I think if it IS a parasite, and its in any fish that is in the tank for 'a time', the problem has to be treat as a tank, and maybe on several fronts. I have read a lot about some of these issues, and treating the tank, feeding medicated foods, salt therapy, and more.... one that I forgot to mention before, and I have recently tried.... a garlic clove in the tank! Boost immunity or something. Some people feed garlic powder or granules in their food mix.... Also small frequent feeding of high quality high protien foods helps decrease stress plus build immunity thus growing better fish
Too bad you cant get the API GC quickly, but you should be able to find something along the same lines there. You may want to contact API and ask them what is equal ... ? check swelluk.com too

General cure contains metronidazole and praziquantel.
We can't get metronidazole in the UK without a prescription. (kills protozan parasites)
Praziquantel is in eSHa gdex (kills flat worms).

To treat round worms you need eSHa-ndx which contains levamisole.

General cure contains metronidazole and praziquantel.
We can't get metronidazole in the UK without a prescription. (kills protozan parasites)
Praziquantel is in eSHa gdex (kills flat worms).

To treat round worms you need eSHa-ndx which contains levamisole.
Okay thankyou! The two treatments I’ve looked at are eSHa-ndx and NT labs anti-fluke and worming treatment which contains flubenzadol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back