FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
For those of you that didnā€™t know, I took the ACT about 2 weeks ago. The test results finally came in tonight.

I got a 20 (out of 36).

Not sure if thatā€™s necessarily good? The average sophomore scores 19, so I guess I got 1 point above average?

Anyway, it was my first time taking it, and there was a lot I didnā€™t understand, but I definitely have room to improve.

For those of you that didnā€™t know, I took the ACT about 2 weeks ago. The test results finally came in tonight.

I got a 20 (out of 36).

Not sure if thatā€™s necessarily good? The average sophomore scores 19, so I guess I got 1 point above average?

Anyway, it was my first time taking it, and there was a lot I didnā€™t understand, but I definitely have room to improve.
That sounds really cool! What is ACT?

That sounds really cool! What is ACT?
ā€œThe ACT is a standardized test used for college admissions in the United States. It is currently administered by ACT, a nonprofit organization of the same name. The ACT test covers four academic skill areas: English, mathematics, reading, and scientific reasoning.ā€

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACT_(test))

ā€”ā€”

The 20 points was an average of those four areas.

It is like SAT(writing, reading, math) but instead of writing, it is science... I think?
The SAT has a stronger vocab. focus, while the ACT has advanced math and science.

I didnā€™t take the writing portion of the ACT, but I will do that next year.

I've taken it but I don't think any of the schools I looked at required it. It did speed up the admission decision at my college though. I also got a 20 btw.

Good job! I'm a junior and I still need to take my SAT and ACT. What do you want to do after highschool?
I would like to go into the military. My plan is start out in the Marine Corps. and then do an inner service transfer to the Navy, so I can go to BUDā€™s. (Basic Underwater Demolition, Aka Navy SEAL school)

After I retire from the military, I will most likely go to college. (I can go to college for virtually nothing, because they will pay for it once I retire)

That is the only reason why I would go to college afterwards. ^

As far as what I would go to college for, I have no clue. It will definitely be something I can use for my future aquarium career.

I would like to setup a fish store a long ways down the road. Itā€™s my dream!

I've taken it but I don't think any of the schools I looked at required it. It did speed up the admission decision at my college though. I also got a 20 btw.
Where you a sophomore when you took it?

Awesome! I took the ACT about 10 years ago and I scored a --> can't really remember 27-28.

As a former teacher, I do not think the ACT is the best benchmark for student success - as not everyone who is smart is a good test taker AND not everyone who is a good test taker is smart.

I think the AVG ACT score is in the 18-22 range. The best use of the ACT is to help you get more financial aid from a college and if you are intending to use the Navy to help with college, then it's not really useful anyway!

I find that students who are committed to learning will succeed regardless of how they fared on any specific tests.

Sounds like you are on the right track!! Keep up the great work!

I got a 20 (out of 36).

That is really good. I think my sister got a 26 when she took it her junior year. Are you interested in science and math? If your major is not focused on science or math, your ACT won't have a huge impact on it. I know most colleges look for 23+.

Edit: Didn't read the other posts. Now I see you want to be in the military. That is awesome!

Awesome! I took the ACT about 10 years ago and I scored a --> can't really remember 27-28.

As a former teacher, I do not think the ACT is the best benchmark for student success - as not everyone who is smart is a good test taker AND not everyone who is a good test taker is smart.

I think the AVG ACT score is in the 18-22 range. The best use of the ACT is to help you get more financial aid from a college and if you are intending to use the Navy to help with college, then it's not really useful anyway!

I find that students who are committed to learning will succeed regardless of how they fared on any specific tests.

Sounds like you are on the right track!! Keep up the great work!
100% agree. I am focusing intently on the SAT because I want to become a teacher and maybe even an English teacher in high schools down the road, so I know that it is important. But my ACT, I am shooting for a good score (26-27) but I am not too freaked out about it.

I am so glad there are people that understand that every student is different and every student has different aspirations.

100% agree. I am focusing intently on the SAT because I want to become a teacher and maybe even an English teacher in high schools down the road, so I know that it is important. But my ACT, I am shooting for a good score (26-27) but I am not too freaked out about it.

I am so glad there are people that understand that every student is different and every student has different aspirations.

In my experience, Standardized Tests are necessary but educators as a whole disagree with the importance that is attached to them.

I taught for 4.5 years in Highschool and Middle school - left the profession on my own terms and don't have an intention of going back. My wife is still a elementary school teacher. If you ever have questions please feel free to reach out and I can share my experiences with you.

In my experience, Standardized Tests are necessary but educators as a whole disagree with the importance that is attached to them.

I taught for 4.5 years in Highschool and Middle school - left the profession on my own terms and don't have an intention of going back. My wife is still a elementary school teacher. If you ever have questions please feel free to reach out and I can share my experiences with you.
Thank you so much. I am excited to get into education but my mom is thinking about getting out as well.

I will definitely reach out if I have questions!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back