Just an update

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cichlid_freak

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am finally having to face the reality that I am about to move to a very small space. I have been planing for a long time. I have traded my P. polleni back to the LFS that I bought them from. I sold my 75 gallon tank to a friend, and will soon be giving my 29 gallon tank to my brother-in-law for his office.

Now, I still have two ten gallon tanks, and will be looking at buying a 30 gallon long. I haven't been able to find anyone able to order mudskippers, so I will be focusing on dwarf cichlids. I, right now, have a pair of German Blue Rams (Microgeophagus ramirezi) and a trio of Apistogramma bitaeniata (I'm not sure exactly which color form) and have placed them in my ten gallon planted tank with 10 Cardinal tetras, 3 ottos, 4 red shrimp, and 2 khuli loaches. This tank has a lot of cover, one piece of driftwood, and 3x2.25" terracotta pots.

In the other ten gallon, I have one large terracotta pot (from the LFS) and about 20+ A. bitaeniata fry. When I bought the last remaining three A. bitaeniata, one of the females was guarding a batch of fry. Scared she would stress from the move and eat the eggs, I put them in a new ten gallon tank. This has a small bag full of established gravel, the pot, some floating plants, and a small sponge filter. I have been feeding them "First Bites" and I have some brine in a hatching dish. One thing I would do differently (but wasn't able to because of the pot size) is put the fry in a smaller container. This would make it a lot easier to get food to the little 1/32" fry, and would allow them to probably grow faster.

Also, since my Brother-in-law is not the best of fish keepers (only experience include goldfish in a water trough), I will be setting up the 29 gallon for him. I hope to locate about ten small shelldwellers, preferably Neolamprologus similis OR Neolamprologus multifasciatus. I would also like to include about 5 or so small Juli's in a rock structure in the back or corners of the tank, preferably Julidochromis transcriptus "Kissi Bemba." This will make a pleasingly astetic tank, while giving me a chance to dabble in a new tank. I hope to use some "sugar-sized" crushed argonite (I found 30 lbs. for about $15 at an LFS) and some larger rocks (river smoothed) for either the corners or alon the back or as a "cliff" on one side. I will keep the Penguien 330 and put some Corkscrew Val. in there to alleviate the "desert" look. Any suggestions from some Tang. lovers out there would be appreciated.

P.S.- I may end up tranforming one of my tens into a small shelldweller tank, as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back