Journal: German Blue Rams Spawning #2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FawnN

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Hope you find this just as interesting and exciting as I do.  My pair spawned the first time on 10/20/14 @ 8:25pm in my 45 gallon community tank. It took her approximately 45 minutes to lay all her eggs and the male to work his magic.  The eggs survived only 2 days before my BN Plecos discovered them and gobbled them all up. 

They were awesome first time parents.  The male was always guarding and diligently fanning the eggs, while only eating the dead ones.  During this time, he only let the female come and visit occasionally.  He was very protective, but there were too many pleco's to fend off. 
online2long.gif

So now.... I'm amazed that only after 17 days, she spawned for me again last night, 11/06/14 at 8:55pm.  This time I am prepared. 
yahoo.gif
  They are in their own tank with plently of driftwood, 1 plant, a super quiet sponge filter and baby brine shrimp on hand.  So now, I have to wait approximately 48 hours before they hatch. 

I can't wait to find out how many actually survive and become free swimming. 

I hope everyone enjoys the video. 

http://youtu.be/WaJdlIzIrRY

Ok... so after, what looks like the eggs hatched on the second spawning... mom ends up eating them.  
unsure.png

So, like clock work (13-14 days), she is getting ready to lay eggs again.  I'm hoping that 3rd times a charm.  I'm wondering if maybe due to the curve in the driftwood where she laid her eggs before, the male wasn't able to fertilize them and that's why she decided to eat them??  

Or maybe they were just hungry and ate them.  lol  Anyways, so I thought I would test my theory out and added a piece of slate in the tank this time.  

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!  

****​
Ok.. so right after I wrote this, I got up to check on them and they had already started spawning on the piece of slate.. that slate sure does make my pictures look yucky!!  

GBRSpawning3_Pair111914.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back