Jewel cichlid with a black face

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Steve2717

Reaction score
About a week ago I noticed a dark patch appear on the face of my jewel cichlid it runs in a straight line down the front of his face extending out past his eye. Is this something i should be worried about? I normally do a 50% water change every sunday but prior to this ill admit i had left it 4 more days than usually do as was busy with work.
20240313_181141.jpg

Attachments

• 20240313_181232.jpg
    20240313_181232.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 6
Chemical burns. Nothing you can do about it besides making sure the tank water is clean and any new water going in there is free of chemicals like chlorine/ chloramine, etc.

It can also be nerve damage from fighting. Again nothing you can do it does sometimes go by itself other times it’s for life

Can you overdose with the tap conditioner? I had changed brand and it is a higher concentration but im sure i got it right

It can also be nerve damage from fighting. Again nothing you can do it does sometimes go by itself other times it’s for life
I have a green terror and electric blue acara in the same tank which have taken over one end of the tank and produced fry so maybe it got a bit close

Can you overdose with the tap conditioner? I had changed brand and it is a higher concentration but im sure i got it right
You can overdose but you have to add a lot more than the recommended amount (10 times the amount).

This happens a lot when water companies do work on the pipes. They increase the chlorine/ chloramine level after the work is done to make sure nothing is alive in the water. Then people do a water change on their fish tank (within 24-48 hours of the work being done) and the fish either die or get black marks. The black marks usually clear up within a month.

The water company does not have to tell you they are working on the pipes and some companies regularly increase chlorine/ chloramine levels when the weather is extremely hot, or if they have dam water and it rained really heavily.

You can overdose but you have to add a lot more than the recommended amount (10 times the amount).

This happens a lot when water companies do work on the pipes. They increase the chlorine/ chloramine level after the work is done to make sure nothing is alive in the water. Then people do a water change on their fish tank (within 24-48 hours of the work being done) and the fish either die or get black marks. The black marks usually clear up within a month.

The water company does not have to tell you they are working on the pipes and some companies regularly increase chlorine/ chloramine levels when the weather is extremely hot, or if they have dam water and it rained really heavily.
Thanks im sure it wasnt that much over. Im in the UK so not sure if water companies do the same. Hopefully it clears up

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back