Jellybeans

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Carr

Reaction score
Hi!

I am new to this site and need some info

I have 3 jellybeans, two are males and one is female.

I have had all three for about a year. One of the males is always with the female. They do swap around some times.

The male and female seem to make a nest and get very protective over it every few weeks. It seems to be happening more often lately. Lately I have seen that the two males top fins are getting much longer than they were which I assume to mean that they are now mature.

I hadn't until recently seen any eggs and there have never been any babies.

On Monday I saw eggs for the first time that the female had laid. The female and male were being very protective over the area and took turns to leave it when I fed them. Yesterday when I checked for the eggs were gone.

My questions are:

I have heard that Jellybeans cannot have babies and that the eggs will be laid but cannot be fertilised by the male. The eggs usually get eaten after a few days because the fish realise they will not hatch. Is this true? Could this be the reason why the eggs are now gone and have you experienced this before?

How long after the eggs are laid do they actually hatch?

I read in one of the discussions that the JB will eat there first few batches and this could be what happened.

How old are the JB usually before they start breeding? The reason I ask this is they have been together for about a year and I have only seen eggs now but it is possible that they have laid eggs in another place before where I could not see them.

I am just concerned that I will be expecting the eggs to hatch in the future but they might in actual fact be unable to reproduce.

Your advice will be appreciated!

:rolleyes:

Male's are almost always infertile. That dosent stop them from trying though! lol! Also, if you really want babies. Go pick up a male Black convict, and let him pair up with the female. They are very fertile and the babies are called BubbleGum parrot's, and you will probably get 5 dollars a baby at the lfs!

hola,
Are they jellybean parrots or blood parrots??
jellybean parrot are pink and blood parrots are orange.
becuz jellybean parrots are blood parrot x pink convicts.
some ppl call them jeallybean convicts.
jelly bean convicts as i like to call them now can make babies.
mine had 3 spawns all with really good lookin frys.
looks just there parents!!!!

jellybean parrots, are dyed fish, hence the name. and despite the comments in some previous posts come in many colours. however they are dyed and as such i would suggest that nobody buys them. as with many hybrids, sterility is a problem. but . as stated a convict male may do the trick.

Not all JellyBeans are Hybrid's! We had some albino's come in, and i personally talked to the breeder! He siad they are only 2 and a half months old and he dosent belive in Dyeing fish. Plus my lfs dosent sell dyed fish.

Not all JellyBeans are Hybrid's! We had some albino's come in, and i personally talked to the breeder! He siad they are only 2 and a half months old and he dosent belive in Dyeing fish. Plus my lfs dosent sell dyed fish.

they are without question HYBRIDS and, unless they are pink/albino, they are dyed! whatever the breeder and the lfs say.

they are without question HYBRIDS and, unless they are pink/albino, they are dyed! whatever the breeder and the lfs say.

I meant not all are Dyed. They arent Dyed, well at least the stiped and Albino ones arent. I know the breeder, i have seen his tanks and everything! He dosent dye the fish!

I meant not all are Dyed. They arent Dyed, well at least the stiped and Albino ones arent. I know the breeder, i have seen his tanks and everything! He dosent dye the fish!
do they have red eyes??? NO! they are NOT albino.

[i]ANDDDDD[/i] these fish are NOT hybrids, they are inbred pink convicts witha deformed lateral line. there are such things as blood parrot x pink convicts, but that is NOT how you get jelly beans!

they dont have to have red eyes to be albino!!!!
look at flower horns!!! there not albino and they still have red eyes

True. Also, andyourblueblood, i would love to see your proof that they have to have red eye's to be albino. I have a albino Oscar, and he didnt have red eye's. I have 5 albino Kribensis Cichlids and they didnt have red eye's. Care to explain????????

they dont have to have red eyes to be albino!!!!
look at flower horns!!! there not albino and they still have red eyes

True. Also, andyourblueblood, i would love to see your proof that they have to have red eye's to be albino. I have a albino Oscar, and he didnt have red eye's. I have 5 albino Kribensis Cichlids and they didnt have red eye's. Care to explain????????
yeah...your fish must not have been albino. TRUE albino animals have red eyes and no pigment in their skin. ever see an albino rat?? google it if you care to. look for albino oscars, they ALL have red eyes.

look at RED eyes on this ALBINO pleco.

and the RED eyes on this ALBINO polypterus senegalus.

and the RED eyes on this ALBINO asian redtail cat.

google image search albino fish, they ALL have RED eyes.

Not true. My unle has a Albino Pelco and it dosent have eye's. What about albino Mollies? They dont have red eye's!!!!!!!!

check this out albino convict
Cichlosoma_nigrofasciatum_albino.jpg

albino peacock cichlid
Albino_Peacock.jpg

albino chinese alge eater
tomcae1.jpg

albino pike
cheese%20with%20a%208lb%20albino%20have%20you%20seen%20anything%20like%20this%20before.jpg

just sayin not all albinos have red eyes

that convict is leucistic not albino. as is the peacock. the chinese algae eater has red pupiils. you cearly dont know your color morphs. the fish being held is xantic. read up on your morphs then get back to me....

Most reactions

Back