Java Moss?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

rvm

Fish Herder
Reaction score
The fish in my 140g tank will not allow any plants to take root before they tear them up, so I was thinking of trying some Java moss and trying to get it tied to some wood or leave it floating. The reason I want live plants is because my tap water has high nitrates and I find if I have plants like my other 2 tanks it keeps the nitrates down to very acceptable levels. But in my large tank, I have a lot of algae growing on the glass and have to keep scraping it!!
I know plants won't end this problem, but they do help out quite a lot, so if Java moss is no good, can anyone reccomend a hardy floating plant. I've tried vallis, onion plants and Java fern, but they get torn up within minutes!!

rvm said:
The fish in my 140g tank will not allow any plants to take root before they tear them up, so I was thinking of trying some Java moss and trying to get it tied to some wood or leave it floating. The reason I want live plants is because my tap water has high nitrates and I find if I have plants like my other 2 tanks it keeps the nitrates down to very acceptable levels. But in my large tank, I have a lot of algae growing on the glass and have to keep scraping it!!
I know plants won't end this problem, but they do help out quite a lot, so if Java moss is no good, can anyone reccomend a hardy floating plant. I've tried vallis, onion plants and Java fern, but they get torn up within minutes!!
I'm curious, which fish is destroying your plans?

In any case, I usually keep java moss at one spot by dropping a stone right in the middle of it. It usually keeps it there. But then again, I don't have fishes that attack my plants... ;)

water sprite. It the only plant I didnt buy, there was a small leaf in a bag with some fish, and today it took over all four my tanks. I ave some planted some floating, some is so big its growing out of my 20icnh high tanks..

Get some sort of floating pond plant. They can get their CO2 from the air, and have no water to get in the way of their light, so they will have a very fast metabolism, and therefore remove lots of nitrates.

Most reactions

Back