Jasmin

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

juliehainsworth

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok I bought some Jasmin the other week! And I was wondering what is the best way to look after it? How much light? Water? Temperature? Indoors or outdoors! I'm complete novice when it comes to plants sorry! It was an impulse buy!

Erm....against a wall, sheltered and sun or shade is fine I think.

Possibly moist soil but not too wet?

Okay, I confess - I haven't a clue! Although better find out soon as I'm planning on some night blooming jasmine for the back fence, near the patio, so that the scent drifts up the garden.
:D

Hmmm didnt realise it would need a wall! oh well I'm sure I'll be able to find it a place where the dog cant get at it! I think I'd better stick to keeping fish rather than plants!

natsuko ... did you buy it from a garden centre or in the ''pot plant'' section of the supermarket,I am also presumng it is the white summer jasmine . Either way it will be fine outside in good time but if it was a supermarket pot version sold as a pot plant its best to keep it in for a while. I planted a houseplant version into the ground last year , it seems to have survived and is doing well but then we dont get really cold winters in the uk anymore..The other one I have from the garden centre is scrambling over a six foot high arch. They do like to climb and prefer the sun. They are best to have some branches trimmed back rather than the plant completely cut back . hope this helps .. they smell divine by the way :)

Well it was bought in Homebase in the potted plant section! It's been grown in a arch formation! I bought it because I liked the smell of the flowers which were open so I agree the smell is divine! The one I bought had loads of flower buds but none were open and are only just opening now! It's currently sat on my bedroom windowsill! How often should I water it?

I agree about the warm winters over here it sucks!

Ok .. in that case i would treat it as a houseplant for now , enjoy the smell indoors . once it has finished flowering and you can be sure no more cold nights and frosts[ probably early May] put it outside. The one I had as a houseplant last year is quite rampant this year and I just put it in a bigger pot outside and gave it some canes to grow on ..hope it will flower this year.
Water the plant regularly ,just letting it dry out very slightly in between [probably once maybe twice a week] ,need to keep an eye if you have a radiator underneath the windowsill as it may get a bit too warm .

I'm lucky my radiator is on the other side of the room! Well its got loads of buds on it and when I got in last night one of the flowers had opened!

Thanks for the advice! Hope yours flowers this year for you

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back