Jack Dempsey Cichlid, Eggs Need Help.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

alexshaw

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all I have two Jack dempsey's, in my 400L Tank. One is female and the other, male.
I recently woke up to find they had laid eggs on a peice of slate in the tank. This was good news to me as i have been wanting to breed them for a while. The tempreture bump and live food helped well. I have done a lot of research with breeding jacks but i dont understand this. As usual i had a few white eggs pop up and go fury. I was expecting this but i read in a few places that jack parents are supose to get rid of the dead eggs so the good ones dont get infected with the bacteria growing on the bad ones. My question is why is my female not doing this? The male chills in his hiding spot and only comes over to eggs briefly for a check up. The female stands guard and fans the debree from falling on them. But shes not touching the dead eggs. I think they are all going to die because of this. Any ideas?

- Just noticed now they are digging a pit on the other side of the tank...Is this them planning on moving eggs? or another batch?

It could be their first batch so she may not know what to do with them. Now that they have bred once they will breed again. 
The pit could be another place they want to breed, they could abandon these eggs or it could be a place for fry if they do hatch. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back