I've Found Heaven On Earth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I want pics! I dont believe this is true for a few reasons. The water peramiters needed to support all these fish probably would not be possible in a pond. Africans and Koi are 2 completly dif fish. The water peramiter to support thses fish would have to be a pefect median, assuming that would even work! Not to mention that "Sombody" would have had to have spent alot of $$$ to stock that pond givin the size. And if your gona tell me that they all reproduced in their, it would be a 5-10 year period, even then most fish wont spawn inless they like the water. Or maybe I could be wrong? :unsure:

well..... to tease you, and play the devils advocate.....

I have head of fish adapting to rediclious conditions, like that of polution or high/low ph levels or temperature.....

maybe this is possible..... after all, I live in Sydney Nova Scotia the home of the "Tar Ponds" (top 10 polluted sites in the world) and believe it or not.... there are some fish...

I want pics! I dont believe this is true for a few reasons. The water peramiters needed to support all these fish probably would not be possible in a pond. Africans and Koi are 2 completly dif fish. The water peramiter to support thses fish would have to be a pefect median, assuming that would even work! Not to mention that "Sombody" would have had to have spent alot of $$$ to stock that pond givin the size. And if your gona tell me that they all reproduced in their, it would be a 5-10 year period, even then most fish wont spawn inless they like the water. Or maybe I could be wrong? :unsure:

Wow!! So many unbelievers!! If only I could show you all right now, but if you will all wait patiently you doubters will be put in your place. I can believe the confusion and disbelief, however.

Ok, to answer some q's. About the koi and goldfish I saw, they were probably put their by someone who didn't want them anymore, I saw NO evidence of them reproducing. The cichlids however ARE reproducing. They would have to be because I saw many different sizes and some fish had cleared away little impressions in the dirt and were actively defending them. Near the shore I also saw many baby cichlids. My guess is that someone released a few cichlids or maybe a few people released various cichlids and they have been reproducing. And about the 5-10 year reproduction thing, there have been fish in that pond since 1964. I looked up a scientific paper about it on JSTOR.org saying that a scientist described guppies in the pond in '64. So it has been common knowledge that the pond can support tropical fish. But this is truely a miracle place. I can't wait to go back and get some pics and I hope all of you that have responded will stick around the thread to see them...

I am just glad that I listened to the creepy old man at wal-mart!! : :lol:

where exactly in the usa do u live and do u hav directions incase i live by there i would really want to go but of course i doubt its by anywhere i liv but i wanna go there lol :rolleyes: :shout:

Its entirely possible.

I know of two similar places here in the UK!

One is a disused quarry, the work ceased in the quarry when they hit too many springs to bother pumping out the water, so they left it to fill.

This is probably several 100 feet deep in some places.... http://www.miac.org.uk/gullet.htm and i can say from first hand up close and bloody scary experience there are one helluva lot of extremely large koi type fish in there.... and probably a lot of other stuff but once you have come eyeball to eyeball with a big carp you stop swimming underwaterw ith your eyes open and adopt a 'if i cant see it, it cant slurp my toes off' policy.

The other place is near where i live now (sorry no pretty weblink), its the outfall pools for the water used for cooling in a dye works. The water is directed from a stream, through the factory and is pumped out into a series of smallish sheltered ponds, the top pond staying at a fairly constant 22c even during winter and a little higher in summer.

This is FULL of tropical fish, some koi that appear to like the temperature (id guess because it is a larger pond and quite deep there are cooler areas and obviously they wont suffer the same problems of poor water quality as its far more diluted than a garden pond or fishtank would be), but there are also terrapins in there and definatley some cichlids...

So if its possible here, id say its possible elsewhere!

i cant wait til you go back for pictures. it really does sound too good to be true but at the same time ALMOST anything is possible.

When will you be going back, I really wanna see pics!!!

I'm planning a trip for this Sunday, if all goes well. If not I will surely go next Sunday. I have family coming into town and it depends on when they leave, but I will get pics... don't worry!

Well, i have to say somtihng about the fish you posted. It is a underwater photo, and i dont know many peeps who can take a underwater photo with such clarity, and i have never seen pond water that clear. One other thing, iuf the lake is so stocked with cichlids, then why isnt there alot of fish in the pic.

Well, i have to say somtihng about the fish you posted. It is a underwater photo, and i dont know many peeps who can take a underwater photo with such clarity, and i have never seen pond water that clear. One other thing, iuf the lake is so stocked with cichlids, then why isnt there alot of fish in the pic.

thats a pic of the fish he caught and took home :good:

i dont doubt it at all. someone at some point might have decided to release all their fish rather than rehoming or something and did it there. this is why governments have rules about flushing fish down the toilet etc as if theyre not quite dead they can end up causing big issues. i think it entirely possible that this has happened. wouldnt imagine they would be there naturally :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back