I've Found Heaven On Earth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
she said that she dosent want people to know the location becasue she dosent want the population to be decimated( she pm'd me about it)

This all sounds very "The Beach"-esque to me...:lol:

I'll believe it when I can see your photos.

i dont know why people are having such a hard time believing this. onceagain it baffles me how distrusting people can be in here. many people in here mention how stable conditions can quite often be more important than exact requirements. dont animals adapt to surroundings over time???? if guppies have been reported living there since 64 and others have to, is it so hard to concieve of the notion that somehow over time these animals have adapted or whatever it is making them survive in the pond

i dont know why people are having such a hard time believing this. onceagain it baffles me how distrusting people can be in here. many people in here mention how stable conditions can quite often be more important than exact requirements. dont animals adapt to surroundings over time???? if guppies have been reported living there since 64 and others have to, is it so hard to concieve of the notion that somehow over time these animals have adapted or whatever it is making them survive in the pond

good old scientists will change their mind next year as to what fish can survive in...lol :D

good old scientists will change their mind next year as to what fish can survive in...lol :D

maybe so but changing minds and dealing with facts/experience is what really matters. i have african cichlids, some american cichlids and a huuuge variety of community fish. obviously most of these would all have different requirements for water parameters. all my fish live in my 7.2 tap water and are fine for it. as in many many cases especially in lfs' etc where it borders on impossible to simulate 20 different water types. the fish mentioned by the author of the thread are all reasonably hardy type fish and it only takes one breeding pair of each to make sure the numbers keep growing :)

p.s. science isnt the exact science it is made out to be ;) (and before anyone jumps down my throat, i have a large background on science, physics, biology etc so im not knocking something i dont understand lol)

Hey thanks for backing me up!!! Lol, I still can see how it is hard to believe, when I was told about it I didn't believe it myself, but thought it was worth checking out.

To Kribensis: About not wanting too many people to know where the springs are... that is true. But no pictures wont give away the location so I will post them as soon as I get them. And I am a he not a she, but that's ok.

To aquaticadmirer: The article would give away the location, sorry to be so weird about it but if too many people caught wind (especially since there are a few large towns close relatively close by) then I would be afraid that tons of people would go their and destroy the fish population. I myself have only caught two, and will probably only catch one or two more. Though it is not a natural occurance I think its preservation is important. Oh, and to read the article you have to be a member of JSTOR, which I am through my university, but if you are a member of it or are super interested in finding the article, do a search in JSTOR for it and you will find it.

To fishlette: here is the link to one of the fish that I caught.... http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=199045
To all: Please help me identify him!!!! And thanks for the interest everyone, this has been a really fun post. I can't wait to get some pics out to you all.

And I finally got a picture of the other fish I caught, an african cichlid. He hid for three days straight but is finally venturing out:

IMG_0599.jpg

Is it just me or have anyone else had dreams about places like this? :blush: :blush:

Thats a nice yellow lab, how do we know that you didn't buy these fish from a petstore :shifty: I would like to see pics of this pool, and actually be able to see fish :rolleyes: :good:

Though I'm not 100% sure if I trust this being real, I do beleive that it is possible. Koi are very adaptive, mroe os than people beleive... if they werent would their be koi and goldfish ponds i nthe Southern US? would they have htem in the filipines or other asian warm waters?

Guppies could reproduce, they stay near the shores, so the bigger cichlids can't wipe them out. Onbly the oens big enough ot fit near there. As for the cichlids, I know personally that african and NW cichldis can live together. It was an experiment I did myself.

To me it is all possible, they adapted and balanced. Florida and that is haveing problems with catching oscars and the such, we all know these arent native ot the region. peopl over the ages could've kept dumping their fish. it could be a local "hot spot" (pardon any puns) that the locals keep a secret to dump their fish into. it only take 2 guppies ot make millions and cichldis live so damned long that it could've been a couple yar before soemone duped their next one, but there you may have a breeding pair.

as for your pic in the other thread, it is very possible that it is a hybrid. think about it. there may be tons of cichlids in there now, but maybe i nthe beginningthere were only 2 species, a male and female, like single cichlids. they cant find another mate so a line of hybrids could've formed. this is possible as most cichlids i'vr seen ,once a pair is established dont break that bond. so you can have a line of hybrid fish i nthere. there could be pure species, we cant know without knowing what and when every fish was dumped.

i too though would love ot see these pics jsut to varify... i don't doubt that it can be done, i jsut want to see the beauty.

btw. nice yellow lab there :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back