Alternative Nitrate Reduction Method$

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Presumably one option for pothos the individual user is concerned about toxicity of roots (or aesthetically doesn't want roots in tank) would be either an external hang-on breeding box (one of the ones which uses an air pump to draw in water and then spits it back out to the main tank) or a hang on back filter with no media. Put the pothos in there. Constant flow of water, pothos have access to the nitrate heavy water at all times, no access to the roots for any livestock.

Can't immediately see why that wouldn't work in principle? May be other issues depending on individual tank set ups in terms of space for hang on backs etc

I am well aware opinions differ on this subject. You go your way and I’ll go mine. Peace.

Very interesting thread. I think it is important to note that Calcium Oxalate is a irritant/poison for people but not necessarily all other creatures. We have a lot of skunk cabbage, Lysichiton americanus, here, full of oxalates, Euell Gibbons (for those who remember who he was) describes trying to eat skunk cabbage and what it did to him, and it wasn't pleasant, yet, I have watched black bears seek out and eat this plant many times. Most creatures will not eat items that are poisonous to them. A little burning from the oxalates might just be a pepper seasoning for the fish's food. I have also watched our squirrels eat poisonous Amanitas in our yard, they seem to like them.

With high nitrates in my well water back when, I spent a fair amount of time and energy in My Nitrate Fight. For most hobbyists, taking steps for Lowering Aquarium Nitrates and in the end, fast growing floating plants that are ammonia sponges converting ammonia into plant tissue and routine periodic partial water changes of sufficient volume are all that's needed to keep the water quality high. :)

EDIT: As the post suggests, be wary of the marketing hype of bio-media manufacturers claiming that their media will culture anoxic/anaerobic bacteria to reduce nitrates. It's largely rainbows and unicorns! Plants are our best investment to better process ammonia and in some cases nitrates. And remember there's typically no such thing as too much clean, fresh water so do routine, periodic, partial water changes of sufficient volume for the highest possible water quality.
I do use floating plants but I don't really like the look and they block out the growing light. However they do have a significant difference.
With Frogbit: Usually 0-5 ppm.
Without: Usually 5-10 ppm.
This is why I use frogbit in most of my breeding tanks.

I am well aware opinions differ on this subject. You go your way and I’ll go mine. Peace.
It that was in reply to my question, I wasn't criticising. I have pothos growing directly in my own tanks. It was a genuine question out of personal interest 🙂

I had the good fortune of limited access to an ichthyologist and marine biologist who operate an LFS here in Southern California and work at an aquarium in San Diego. We began what became almost a full year of informal but largely quantified gatherings of data on nitrate reduction techniques and efficacy. Some is unfortunately anecdotal but much of it was quantified in a way that some Aquarists may find helpful.

Filtration options for nitrate reduction, can be difficult, expensive and surprisingly fragile. The aerobic bacteria consume ammonia and nitrite, the anaerobic consume nitrates...but the latter are fussy eaters! Nitrate reduction via filtration often has little to no effect as it can take 6-8 months to build a sufficient anaerobic colony to actually reduce nitrates meaningfully...and this requires enormous volumes of media.

Far more than would be need for the rest of the nitrogen cycle!

We began cultivating anaerobic colonies in pond media and found the amount of media required for an efficacious anaerobic colony to be far greater than we hoped for or that would be practical. Nitrate reduction via anaerobic colony filtration is VERY inefficient and requires voluminous amounts of media for meaningful nitrate reduction.

One example being a massive 900gph canister filter with some 6L of media capacity and TWO of these filters with a total of 12L of media, still cannot support enough media for effective anaerobic colonies for a ‘typically stocked 125G cichlid tank’ for significant nitrate reduction.

One such filter has ample amounts of flow and media capacity for aerobic colonies (the bacteria that removes ammonia and nitrite), but for anaerobic colonies (the bacteria that consumes nitrates), you’d need FOUR such canisters (25L pond media or similar) to have enough media to reduce nitrates just 10PPM!

I also find anaerobic colonies are MUCH more fragile than aerobic such that they are easily killed by accident. I cannot quantify this but I have experienced the results and I’ve yet to successfully neutralize rechargable media well enough to NOT reduce the anaerobic colony count.

In fact, re-using rechargable (with bleach) media that was then soaked in dechlorinator for 24 hours still killed off almost 6 out of 8 months growth of the anaerobic colony! Yet the aerobic bacteria saw no drop in population.

(I believe Pond Guru mentions a similar test and results in some of his videos)

I went a different route after months of trying to get meaningful nitrate reduction in the filters. Instead of trying to get nitrate reduction with more filters or additional media, I tried Epipremnum/riparian plants: roots in the water, leaves out the top.

I replaced part of the glass with plastic lighting grid to support the roots and stalks:

View attachment 146215

View attachment 146216

I had initially added Epipremnum/riparian plants primarily because I thought it was pretty. I had NO idea the degree of nitrate reduction this would have. I was not prepared for the results.

One tank was a 120G heavily stocked with adult, SA cichlids, 12 Acaras, 2 large plecos and 8 Severums in this case:

View attachment 146220

A 2nd tank, a 125G was heavily stocked with larger fishes, plecos, Oscars and pacu’s (I’ve since had to rehome my beloved pacu’s as they were approaching 18″ in length!):

View attachment 146221

The following are before and after a two week period with Epipremnum/riparian plants above in these tanks:

-The 120 typically reached circa 40ppm after a week when I’d do a WC.

-Inside of two weeks, the 120G at 40ppm has yet to ever reach 10ppm.

-The 125 was more problematic with nitrates I was having enormous difficulty controlling. This tank (prior to rehoming the pacu’s) would typically reach 80ppm-160ppm inside of 1 week (!) such that I was performing 2-3 WC’s/week until I could rehome them!

-Same time frame, the circa 80ppm-160ppm tank had still not risen to even 30ppm!

There was also little question that the nitrates fell further still once we installed grow lights. This is not shown in the pictures as they were not installed yet;

-With the lights on 12-16 hours/day or so, the 120 dropped from 10ppm to 5ppm, or possibly 0, it’s that difficult to read.

-The 125 dropped to 10ppm and has yet to ever reach 20ppm since adding the grow lights.

There are two properties to be mindful of in play and it’s entirely photosynthetic. Terrestrial plants use more nitrates vs ammonia than aquatic plants due to the availability of greater photosynthetic energy. They evolved with leaves under the sun, and in turn, enjoy more light energy which allows them to directly process nitrates more efficiently. Aquatic plants first absorb ammonia and will attempt to expend more energy if need be photosynthetically to consume nitrates so long as enough light energy is present.

The latter is more efficacious when the lighting is stronger which is not optimal for most aquatic plants nor the fish as the efficacy of nitrate consumption is quite related to the amount of light the plants are exposed to. Naturally submerged plants would see diminished light and evolve accordingly. But terrestrial plants evolved for this environment.

I used pothos and monstera in my tanks as well as Lucky Bamboo in a 3rd tank. A single, $20 pothos plant has virtually eliminated nitrates in the 120 and the same with the 125 since rehoming the pacu’s:

View attachment 146222

The big (literally and numerically) surprise was the dracaena or Lucky Bamboo. The pothos reveled its full potential in under 2 weeks. Lucky Bamboo took longer to display results, about 4 weeks vs only 2 weeks for pothos, but the 'bamboo' in particular has reduced nitrates so greatly, I’m not confident I can measure any at all with a liquid test kit now:

View attachment 146223

In my disbelief, I went out and bought a fresh liquid test kit to see if mine had spoiled but again, NO nitrates! A fully stocked SA cichlid tank with 0 nitrates? It sounded crazy to me but of all of the plants I’ve tried, Lucky Bamboo is the nitrate eating champion thus far.

What the image does not show is their growth. In case you were wondering where all those nitrates went, the Lucky Bamboo has grown from 24" stalks to now 6' in height!

View attachment 146224

One topic that will no doubt be raised and rightfully so, is the toxicity of certain plants and their utility in an aquarium. In particular, pothos is known to be toxic to some animals.

But in truth, nearly ALL Epipremnum/riparian plants, even monstera have this same toxin throughout the entire plants, leaves and roots. The toxin is Calcium Oxalate. It's not actually toxic to fish due to it's insolubility as it requires a very acidic environment to leach into the water as it becomes soluble at PH = 4.5. Above 4.5 it's remains crystalline which is the actual issue for dogs and cats as the crystals can cause irritation or sores in mammals.

But even if it contains any toxins, if your PH is above 4.5, it cannot leach into the water as it's insoluble.

Admittedly we performed no tests on this as the LFS owners have actually not seen an incident of toxicity with Epipremnum/riparian plants in any of their aquariums nor their customers. In truth, even if it were toxic, the leaching ability can only occur when the plant is cut AND the PH is below 4.5.

I don't bother with rooting cuttings. I just wash the roots and let them drape into the tank through the plastic lighting grid. Of all my fishes, only the Severums eat the roots (and the plecos eat the algae on the roots). I have seen my Severums eat the roots for years without incident:

View attachment 146225

While it may not appeal to everyone, a single Epipremnum/riparian plant can remove virtually all the nitrates directly from the water column if given enough time (weeks). I wish this could be more extensive and exhaustive but given the limitations of our testing, one thing I can say with confidence is there's no greater nitrate reduction one can get for a freshwater tank for $20!
Thank you and your tanks are beautiful!
I really wish I understood science better, I will admit to struggling with some of your explanation no matter how many times I re read it! What I'm taking from this is that in my small nano tank if I cleaned the roots and suspended a Devils Ivy at the surface of my tank the roots will absorb nitrates reducing my nitrate level?

Thank you and your tanks are beautiful!
I really wish I understood science better, I will admit to struggling with some of your explanation no matter how many times I re read it! What I'm taking from this is that in my small nano tank if I cleaned the roots and suspended a Devils Ivy at the surface of my tank the roots will absorb nitrates reducing my nitrate level?
This is a thread from last year, and the member has not been active since November, so he/she may not respond. I'll offer my thoughts here.

First, there are issues involved with some of what has been suggested in this thread. And the first issue to resolve is the source of the nitrate. Nitrates occurring in the source water is one issue, whereas nitrates occurring solely within the biological system of an aquarium is a totally different issue. The methods to resolve whichever also differ and affect the fish.

A nano tank is involved, and this implies small fish from forest streams (or a single betta perhaps, but much the same thing with respect to the issue). Nitrates occurring in the source (tap) water have to be dealt with before the water is added to the aquarium, or by emergent terrestrial plants (like devil's ivy, or pathos). This means either a very deep aquarium so the water level can be low enough to allow the plant to maintain its leaves in the air, with just the roots submerged, or the tank must be open (no cover glass). The latter presents problems, depending upon the fish (they may jump), the dust in the air settling on the surface and impacting the necessary gas exchange, or the evaporation of tank water.

If the nitrates are occurring within the aquarium, they are much more easily and effectively handled. Here, aquatic plants do the task, and floating plants are best. This also means a better habitat for nano fish, as it provides them with shade and the floating plants assimilate an incredible amount of nutrients like ammonia/ammonium. This is how they deal with nitrate--by taking up most of the ammonia/ammonium which means nitrite is not occurring to any extent and thus less nitrate. A better method all round.

you've reminded me of something. my potted pothos is about to get trimmed for some aquarium out of tank decor, thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back