i've been inspired

Many rescue birds are in rescues because they were neglected, abused, or wern't tamable. If you're looking for a gentle, tame pet, a rescue bird is often not the route you should take. They're EXTREEMLY hard to tame, and if they lost their trust in humans, they never *fully* recover. They may come to a point where they trust their immediate family, and in a home with someone very familiar with bird behaviour quite likely will with much work. If you're at all unsure, however, the bird will pick up on that.

I'm not trying to discourage you. In fact I would encourage you to do EXTENSIVE research and take on adopting a rescue bird. I've worked with a couple rescue parrots, however. A Macaw and an African Grey. And it's difficult to work with an animal who doesn't trust you or humans because it was either neglected, or ripped from it's home without understanding why who has a beak powerful enough to remove a finger. They also need more attention than most babies and toddlers.

Ferrets are a fully 100% domesticated animal. They no longer exist in the wild (aside from the black-footed ferret, but they've been re-introduced after being wiped out). These animals are more likely to love you and are easier to tame down than a bird because of domestication. The problem with ferrets is adrenal disease, which is a $3000+ surgery. Many ferrets suffer from this, and if it's not treated they will die. Ferrets who go untreated have an average lifespan of about 5 years. Ferrets who are treated average a lifespan of 10-15 years.

Do google searches for species-specific rescues (ie parrot rescue, ferret rescue, ect) and contact them. They'll answer any questions you may have. They also have many contacts and can direct you to rescues more in your area. Most even have foster programs you could participate in to see if adopting is the right thing for you.

Good luck.

Apopli said:
Many rescue birds are in rescues because they were neglected, abused, or wern't tamable. If you're looking for a gentle, tame pet, a rescue bird is often not the route you should take. They're EXTREEMLY hard to tame, and if they lost their trust in humans, they never *fully* recover. They may come to a point where they trust their immediate family, and in a home with someone very familiar with bird behaviour quite likely will with much work. If you're at all unsure, however, the bird will pick up on that.

Im sorry, i have to disagree with that.

Ive had quite a few birds, not hundreds by any means, but ive had lots of different species, ages etc and i have to say, the parrot ive rescued is by far the tamest and most loving bird ive ever owned.
Im not saying that my other birds weren't tame, because they were, i tended to buy birds (particularly the bigger ones) hand reared as i personally think its too stressful for a "wild" bird to be tamed, and more often than not, they dont make such good pets as hand reared birds. Obviously, this is just from my experience though..

Im not saying that ALL rescued parrots will be as tame as mine, sometimes they are so badly abused and neglected that they can never become good pets, but i dont think birds like these should be re-homed. They should go to experts who know how to deal with the birds problems.

Magic, my rescued bird, had spent the last few years living in a cat carrier, being fed the wrong diet and wasn't given the attention and exercise he needed. Unfortunately due to that he started plucking quite badly (hes stopped this since being with me) and has deformed legs and feet from the calcium defficiency. BUT, regardless of all his problems he is a wonderful pet! He craves any amount of love and attention he can get as he's never been used to it! He always wants to be with us, he loves children and at the shows i take him to he's always the most popular because he just wants to see people.

He is by no means "typical" of the rescue birds. As im sure you can tell he is more tame than normal, but most of the birds taken to the charity shows are very cuddly and handlable.

I would never recommend buying a parrot now after seeing some of the birds that need homes. Why give the breeders money when theres hundred of parrots who have been abused, neglected or unwanted and just need loving homes?

But, of course, its up to each person to decide for themselves :)

Jess

Parrots are so inteligent and different that I dont think you can have a clear cut reason or opinion on how well, or not, they do with regard to re-homing. Unless you've rehomed hundreds.
If some muppet had done their job properly in the first place and knew what they were taking on, rescue centres would have a lot less occupants. Anyway thats another issue. (that was a generalised comment)

Some birds have various problems that may go within days or weeks, others years and in extreme cases not at all. This can depend on the type of bird, its age, sex, personality, loads of things.
The rescue centres are gonna know what 'problems' the parrot may have, whether they are physical, behavoural, or both. In my opinion if you've not had much experience with parrots, rehoming a bird with a problem such as extreme feather picking may not be a good idea. One that was a bit shy or noisy can often be sorted out given time and patience. You might find a parrot with no problems at all and it needs rehoming because of the 'muppet point' that I raised above.

Either way, and regardless of what animal you would like to rehome do all the research you can and speak to as many people about it as you can.
Personally I'd go for a parrot because they are beyond words. They do live a long time though so bare that in mind ;)

I think you need to come to a Birdline show Link!! I have a feeling you'd love it!!! Loads of birds, all different species from Conures to Greenwings and you get to play with them all day!!! :D

Best of all though, you'd get to meet me and my little Galah Magic!! Is that not the perfect Saturday afternoon out?! :p lol

Sorry off topic... :rolleyes:

wow, i've missed alot in the past little while :)

i've been very busy lately
so there hasn't been alot of progress in the adoption process
but rest assured, i plan to do a ton of research before i make any decisions

i have experience with birds, but only small to medium sized birds
i have adopted an abused and neglected bird before, only i didn't feel it worked well
i am really wanting to give it another try
the bird i am speaking of was my cockatiel spike
she HATED people
she was not fed a proper diet (just plain seeds) and she was in a small, round cage with vertical bars
she had deformed feet, i assume was either from a vitamin deficiency or possibly from breaking feet on the poorly constructed cage bars
i gave her a good home for years but i felt she could never truley be happy
there was something missing in her life and she would scream and scream throughout the day, every day
refusing to just pass her off to the next person, as so many others before me had done, i tried everything to make her happy,
buying her a huge cage all to herself, and providing her with many treats, toys and even soft radio
she loved when i sat by her cage and spoke softly to her but she did not like to leave the cage
a good friend of my mothers suggested that maybe she needed a mate since she was too afraid of people
i gave spike to the woman who released her into a large aviary (she used to be a breeder) with a single male budgie
i visit from time to time and spike is finally happy, peaceful and very much in love with her friend

sorry for the long story :*)
but i really want to give it another go :flex:

Most reactions

trending

Back