Is This True?

You should not feed your fish feeder fish because they can transfer diseases like ich?

Ich, is primarily caused by sudden temperature changes..i.e. from warm to cold.... Cannot see where feeding comes into it.??

EDIT: Ah!.. ok... feeding your feeder fish to other fish... Yes certainly, if they have a "transferrable" disease (like ich) you can infect your fish being fed.... (Sorry misunderstood)...I think...
 
Yes, well not ich specifically - more likely to be internal parasites.
Of course if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that your feeder fish are from a safe and reputable source, or they are home bred then you have some degree of safety.
But anything that eats another living creature risks ingesting an organism that may cause them problems or even death (one of the reasons we typically cook our food is to aim to destroy as many as possible of these organisms).
 
Um yes, otherwise Davo and I wouldnt have said that on your other thread about your feeding feeder fish mate.
 
The problem I could see with feeding sick fish to your fish is that the feeders most likely aren't eaten immediately. They swim in the tank until the predator gets them. In the time they are in the tank, it would be quite possible that parasites and infections coud be transfered to other fish. We quarantine new fish before putting them in our tanks so would it not make sense to quarantine feeders too? I don't keep fish that I have to use feeders for so my comments are purely conjecture.
 
OUPS! Minx After you replied I just took your advice one feeding and did not reed your second comment. So pellets veg and worms got it thanks and sry for the misshape
 

Most reactions

Back
Top