Is This Sunset Platy Pregnant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ArsenalFan11

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Currently in a hatchery, been in tank for around a month and a half, rarely comes out. Definitely female. Please help!
Any suggestions and questions are welcome!

photo.PNG

You can assume that all female livebearers are pregnant, all the time.

They're best left in the main tank, rather than being put in one of those hatchery/breeder box things.

If you want some fry to survive (and bear in mind that each female can have 30 or 40 fry, every month), then just add plenty of hiding places. Live, fine leaved plants are best.

I leave mine in the main tank and have lots of wood and live plants that they can get under and in.

RRaquariums said:
I leave mine in the main tank and have lots of wood and live plants that they can get under and in.

fluttermoth said:
You can assume that all female livebearers are pregnant, all the time.

They're best left in the main tank, rather than being put in one of those hatchery/breeder box things.

If you want some fry to survive (and bear in mind that each female can have 30 or 40 fry, every month), then just add plenty of hiding places. Live, fine leaved plants are best.
Hi, thanks for the suggestions. In a different tank, completely identical to the one this platy is in, a different platy had a baby which we spotted but we believe it got eaten considering we haven't seen it since. We just want to know whether it has the signs of pregnancy and if you can give us an estimation of how long it has been.

Thanks

Most live bearers will give birth roughly every 28 to 30 days. It's kind of hard to tell how far along they are based on a picture. Some fish will eat their young or any fry and some do not. Fry are incredibly good at hiding and if they have plants or wood to hide in, they should be fine in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back