Is This Safe?

rowens86

New Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2009
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I bought a piece of wood screwed to a piece of slate and i was wondering if the screws they used are safe for my aquarium.

The screws have like a gray coating over the heads and the piece was bought from Aquarium World local fish store http://www.aquariumworld.net/

Im not sure if the screws are safe if you can help please do

Thanks
Rich
 
nope no rust but im not sure if they will eventually start to rust, and they are not bare metal screws, they have a really thin gray coating on the heads
 
I use my own wood and screw it down to a piece of slate with stainless steel screws. It works great and never does rust. It lets me position the wood exactly the way I want it and I can slide the slate under the substrate to make it disappear in the tank.
 
SS screws are not commonly used when people do this type of "fix". if you bought it like that, its safe to assume its not a SS screw, and will likely rust out.
you can always glue the wood to the slate using silicon.
or go buy some SS screws, and try it that way
 
thanks for the help i think they are coated deck screws or something.. i will replace them with stainless steel screws

Thanks
Rich
 

Most reactions

Back
Top