Is This Overstocked?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Captain Retardo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I will be setting up my 20 gallon long soon, and im wondering if my setup will be overstocked

20 gallon long:

3 Kuhli Loaches
6 Peppered Corys
2 Cherry Barbs
2 Bolivian Rams

(Sand Substrate)

I wish to breed either the cories or the rams and will have a 10 gallon for the fry.

Is that overstocked?

Thanks

i would say no, just make sure you dont over feed and do your water changes. the 10 gallon tank should be ok for the fry.

20 gallon long:

3 Kuhli Loaches
6 Peppered Corys
2 Cherry Barbs
2 Bolivian Rams

The tank isn't over-stocked but I will give you a word of caution. You have a lot of fish that occupy the lower to mid-level strata of the aquarium. When your rams breed, and it's not a matter of if but when, I would be concerned that most of your tank population will be in the way of the ram's territory. I would try to even out the population distribution a bit and replace some of the bottom dwellers with some fish that dwell more in the middle to upper strata of the tank. Just my two cents worth.

Also, i have read some conflicting reports about the water parameter of these fish, would a pH of 6.5ish and a temperature of 77-78F be good?

what about:

6 Kuhli Loaches
6 Corydoras Trilineatus (hopefully i will come across them one day)
2 Cherry Barbs
2 Bolivian Rams

Keeping the temperature of about 75 Degrees Fahrenheit, and a pH of 6.3-6.5

it looks fine.

20 gallon long:

3 Kuhli Loaches
6 Peppered Corys
2 Cherry Barbs
2 Bolivian Rams

The tank isn't over-stocked but I will give you a word of caution. You have a lot of fish that occupy the lower to mid-level strata of the aquarium. When your rams breed, and it's not a matter of if but when, I would be concerned that most of your tank population will be in the way of the ram's territory. I would try to even out the population distribution a bit and replace some of the bottom dwellers with some fish that dwell more in the middle to upper strata of the tank. Just my two cents worth.

^How do you know there both female and male???

if you're getting a male and female for breeding, i wouldnt recomend getting any other fish.
If you want a sucsesful spawn, the parents need to be calm protected from any danger, and IME cories and barbs will do whatever they can to eat the eggs, and cories usually do succeed.

DD

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back