is this ok?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Many fish never show any external symptoms.

Same answer really, many fish carry the bacteria without developing the disease. The gouramis are one such group where this is common. I suspect the intense breeding to produce the "fancy" varieties is largely to blame for that though.

Catfish are known to have a natural immunity and rarely appear to have it. The mollies could have it. They usualy catch it by eating an infected, dead fish. The fact that gouramies CAN carry tb doesn't mean yours do! It isn't the honeys that are so well known for it anyway - its the dwarfs. Dwarfs are far more line-bred and in-bred (the result being a weak immune system) and more often mass-produced and then imported for sale. As for the other fish, ANY fish can have tb without showing any symptoms or evidently dying from it. They might also show symptoms or actualy die from it. You can't tell and you can't prevent it unless you remove clearly sick fish and keep the environment as suitable for your fish as possible. That will at least keep it from spreading. Good water quality, suitable temperature, hiding places and the correct diet will all keep your fish in good health and keep tb at bay.

Lateral Line said:
. The vast majority of "line bred" anabantoids on the circuit these days are crawling with bacterial and other parasitic conditions.
Is this also true for sparkling gouramis ?, I bought 4 about a month ago and 3 have died . The last one to die appeared bloated .

Sorry for jacking vixen .

If you can get nannacara , do it they make good community fish , though maybe a bit larger tank if you plan on getting different species of fish .

thanks lucky 62, i dont mind :)

i liked the nannacara and i hope they are still there when i go in...

im not sure what to do now...

1. breed my upside down catfish.. or try...

OR

2. get the chocolate or frial gouramis

OR

3. get the nannacaras...

which one do u guys think best...

do u think the nannacaras would make a nice contribute to my aquarium.

Sparkling gouramis are not line bred, as such they should not be more of a risk then any other fish per se. Where the problem arises, is that the stock tends to be kept in the same systems as the linebred examples so is at greater risk of exposure/infection.

This is the same for any fish that comes through any of the somewhat grotesque mass production breeders/shippers. What elevates the risk specially for gouramis, is that they all tend to be kept in the same system. Cyprinids for example, would often be kept in another part of the facility.

An intense, dirty facility can concentrate infections. Inbred stock tends to be poor quality and immunodeficient - ripe conditions for epidemics.

I think you should try breeding your upside down cats and if that doesn't work you can try keeping the nannacaras as I don't think either of those gouramies would last very long.

That's two tanks... what's the third for? I'd go for the cichlids then. A species tank would probably look nice. Maybe with a small pleco like a bristlenose and some large-ish tetras and your honeys for the middle and top layers...

Oh I see. You probably couldn't raise them in there...

:p Just go for a pair of cichlids and your current fish ;)

Most reactions

trending

Back