is this ok?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nauplii

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey can soemone tell me if this mix is ok for fish?

Ctenops nobilis- frail gouramis

nannacara anomala- some kind of dwarf cichlid... peaceful

chocolate gourami.

im thinkin of hvin them with 2 red robin gouramis too

It should be ok seen as you are getting a bigger tank soon, but no get anymore than you have mentioned or you will be pushing it.

The "Red Robin" gouramies are likely to be the killer. The other species you mention are somewhat difficult, but are decent species. Not hopelessly inbred, disease ridden trouble.

I have no idea why this thread is in CC&A, but I don't know whether to move it to Anabantoids or Cichlids?...?

what i am thinkin is that im gettin rid of my mollies and tetras b4 sunday and im puttin in my bogwood b4 too, so then ill add all the plants and get the fish...

I did not mean killer in the aggressive sense. The vast majority of "line bred" anabantoids on the circuit these days are crawling with bacterial and other parasitic conditions. Fish tuberculosis is almost the de-facto standard with "fancy" gouramies these days - humans can catch that too. The problems is the breeding farms in the far east work to financial targets, not sensible hygiene procedures. We are seeing more and more poor, weak, disease ridden stock.

Ask the gouramies board.

I would say it isn't a good idea and read the other thread to see why.
Honey gouramies don't carry disease, dwarfs do. They are too aggressive for the other 2 gouramies though.
Ctenops nobilis and chocolate gouramies don't do well in community tanks, need specific water parameters and are exceptionaly fragile and difficult to keep.
They also would need a larger tank...
I don't know about the cichlid.
I'd suggest you go for croaking or sparkling gouramies instead of the nobilis and chocolates.

Fish tuberculosis is almost the de-facto standard with "fancy" gouramies these days - humans can catch that too

ive read only the marine version of fish TB can be contracted by humans.

http://www.4qd.org/Aqua/disease/tb.html

Can Fish TB affect humans?
Most of the info you will find on the www seems to indicate that fish TB can infect humans. However - most of this info refers to the marine disease, caused by Myobacterium marinum.

In Freshwater fish, the disease has different causal bacteria and both the books I have indicate these are not dangerous to humans and that these bacteria are generally only dangerous in cold-blooded organisms, so trouble in humans would seem to be unlikely.

Tropical fish-keeping is so common, and fish TB so common, that surely if there were any danger, freshwater fish TB would be much better investigated and not the cause of mystery deaths that it quite clearly is!

>>> ive read only the marine version of fish TB can be contracted by humans.

The bacteria that cause fish TB, (there are two principle ones but Myobacterium marinum is by far the most common), can be found in freshwater as well as marine. Indeed, it can be found in all manner of water courses.
The aquatic environment is considered the reservoir.  Mycobacterium marinum has been cultured from swimming pools, beaches, natural streams, esuaries, tropical fish tanks and city tap water.
A typical quote, this one from here.

Fish TB when contracted by humans does not result in "TB". The bacteria is not well suited to the high internal body temperature of mammals, rather, it tends to stay on or just below the skin causing granulomas and lesions. There are a few reported cases where people have died from the infection, but this is uncommon, the lesions and a general malaise are by far the most common symptoms in humans.

>>> not the cause of mystery deaths

The reason fish TB is a "mystery" is because often affected fish show no external symptoms. An autopsy would reveal the infection. The condition is spread by poor hygiene and overcrowding, both very common in fast breeder fish farms, the far east has been cited many times as a reservoir for the disease - search the literature.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back