is this normal for a nerite snail shell?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've had him for about 7/8 months.
He's always active and pooping. He's grown a lot since I got him.
Is the weird (not in matching with his other stripes) part of his shell new growth?
Or is something wrong with him?

When I first got him I was having issues with my water being too soft which I didn't realize for a few months but have since corrected. That's when the tip of his poor little shell got white.

Now everything has remained stable

**6 gallon Fluval Edge, planted. 4 Endlers, 2 Otos, 1 Amano shrimp, 1 sunkist shrimp and this Nerite**
PH: 7.2
GH: 75-150
KH: 40-80
chlorine: zero
Nitrates: zero
Nitrites: zero
Ammonia: zero

50% weekly water change with 1/2 tap 1/2 RO and only additive is Seachem Flourish Comprehensive for missing minerals. I have a little bit of crushed coral in filter just incase.

The video shows him from every angle.

If he is active and eating lots thats usually a good sign they are fine. As for that new pattern he might be adding onto his shell and it's simply in another pattern then the old. If you corrected your water then he will be growing is shell. Just keep and eye on the little guy and see how it progresses. And keep up on those 50% water changes I don't see many people do the 50% changes but it's awesome when they do and you will have healthy animals because of it :)

Most of my nerites have marking like that. I've had two of them since July 2011, one since December 2013 and three since December 2014. The five and a half year old ones don't seem to have suffered from it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back