is this fin rot?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BrookLynn

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined, and i'm a little concerned about my new betta, Swim Shady. i got him a little over a week ago and he seems to be fairly happy, he eats regularly and likes to play in the current from his filter, he even made a bubble nest, but his pectoral fins seem translucent? and i can see tiny black spots on his tail fins, which might be a coloration thing but i have no idea. how can i tell if it's fin rot, and if it is how should i treat it?
I've done some research but i still only know the basics of betta care, and my water testing kit doesn't tell me the ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, just ph, which is normal in Shady's tank.
i managed to get one picture but it's difficult to see because he doesn't stay very still and my camera is low quality
swimshadyfins.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I can't tell anything from the picture. Photos showing the side of the fish generally give more information

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality that allows bacteria and protozoans to breed and affect the fish. The easiest way to fix minor problems is by doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Hello! Are you aware of the aquarium nitrogen cycle and did you cycle your tank before adding your betta? If not, the water probably has ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates which are toxic to fish. As Colin T advised, do a large water change immediate . This will reduce the toxic levels in your water. The black on the fins is probably ammonia burn. Take a sample of your water to your local fish store and have them test it for the above mentioned toxins. You need to get an API Master Test Kit too. Please read on the aquarium nitrogen cycle and how to do a “fish in” cycle. We are here to help you should you have questions. What size is your tank? Good luck!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I can't tell anything from the picture. Photos showing the side of the fish generally give more information

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality that allows bacteria and protozoans to breed and affect the fish. The easiest way to fix minor problems is by doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
Thank you! I will definitely follow your advice and see if it helps

Hello! Are you aware of the aquarium nitrogen cycle and did you cycle your tank before adding your betta? If not, the water probably has ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates which are toxic to fish. As Colin T advised, do a large water change immediate . This will reduce the toxic levels in your water. The black on the fins is probably ammonia burn. Take a sample of your water to your local fish store and have them test it for the above mentioned toxins. You need to get an API Master Test Kit too. Please read on the aquarium nitrogen cycle and how to do a “fish in” cycle. We are here to help you should you have questions. What size is your tank? Good luck!
Yes, i have read about the nitrogen cycle, but i used bottled bacteria that was supposed to speed it up, all the reviews and most forums said it worked.. Shady's tank is five gallons, with a filter/heater, and the temperature stays around 80°F. I'll definitely take a sample to the place where i got him and look into getting that kit. Thank you!

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Will you please give us a picture of Shady from the side? I can’t tell if he has fin rot, because of the angle he is at. Fin rot is caused by poor water conditions. I suggest doing a 75% water change, every other day. :)

(Please consider voting for the July TOTM contest by clicking the banner at the top of your screen, Thanks!) :thanks:

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Will you please give us a picture of Shady from the side? I can’t tell if he has fin rot, because of the angle he is at. Fin rot is caused by poor water conditions. I suggest doing a 75% water change, every other day. :)

(Please consider voting for the July TOTM contest by clicking the banner at the top of your screen, Thanks!) :thanks:
Thank you, and of course! Here's the best picture i could get, i hope it helps. I won't be able to do a water change until tonight but i mist definitely will.
Do you think that the problem might be the new environment? He doesn't seem to be stressed in his behavior
swimshadyfins2..jpg

Is he a crowntail Betta Fish?

If so, he doesn’t appear to have fin rot. :)

The tail is too long for a crown tail. The bottled bacteria does help but it still takes at least a couple of weeks to cycle even with that. Let us know your test results and we can help from there. Good luck!

The tail is too long for a crown tail. The bottled bacteria does help but it still takes at least a couple of weeks to cycle even with that. Let us know your test results and we can help from there. Good luck!
The cup i purchased him in said crown tail, but i suppose there's a chance I'm mistaken. I'll test the water as soon as i get a chance. if the bottled bacteria takes a couple weeks to cycle, should i wait to do a big water change, or go ahead?

IMO, it doesn’t Look like a crown tail at all. The tail fin looks way too long and the tips are more ragged than spheres like a crown. I could be wrong but never go by what’s on the cup.

What does “IMO” mean? o_O

You could be right, it could be a “mutt” a cross breed of a crown tail, and another species. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back