The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willard The Betta

Reaction score
Hi everyone...I need help diagnosing Willard's condition. 2 days ago I noticed his fins deteriorating so I began doing research. Everything seems to point to fin rot. I added a little aquarium salt and that at least got Willard to stop flashing and scratching. Today, I quarantined him while washing his tank, decor and gravel in hot water. I then put him back in his very clean tank! Here are some pics. The first pic is what I see today and the other 2 pics are from last week. He has a hole in 1 fin, the rest seem to be deteriorating and now I see a split in his top fin. Additionally, the loss of color in his bottom fin. Please help! 20170821_153352.jpg20170812_114347.jpg

Attachments

• 20170813_230825.jpg
    20170813_230825.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 196
Hi everyone...I need help diagnosing Willard's condition. 2 days ago I noticed his fins deteriorating so I began doing research. Everything seems to point to fin rot. I added a little aquarium salt and that at least got Willard to stop flashing and scratching. Today, I quarantined him while washing his tank, decor and gravel in hot water. I then put him back in his very clean tank! Here are some pics. The first pic is what I see today and the other 2 pics are from last week. He has a hole in 1 fin, the rest seem to be deteriorating and now I see a split in his top fin. Additionally, the loss of color in his bottom fin. Please help!View attachment 85293View attachment 85294
I see some pokey looking plastic plants in there. Do these holes/fin edges show any discoloration from opaque to dark brown or even black? Are his fins looking tattered as well?

Can you please also post your water parameters for us. Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia, Ph, and alkalinity.
Tank size?
How long has your tank been set up? (is it cycled?) http://aquariuminfo.org/cycling.html
Do you have a heater?

From you cleaning the tank it seems you've already done a massive water change which is good. Fin rot is usually a result of poor water/tank conditions and a betta having a comprimised immune system, allowing bacterial diseases (such as fin rot) to take hold and hurt your fish.

Hello, thanks for responding. I don't have a test kit, I'm sorry I can't provide you with that info. That pointy plant is a newer addition...I was wondering if that was doing damage also. It looks like he has black on the outside edges of some areas, but barely. I'm not sure. Someone else suggested stress that could cause fin nipping. I'm keeping my eyes on him. There's 1 rip I've noticed and a few areas on fins that look uneven.

My tank size is 2.5 gallons with a filter set at 80°. It was cycled until I did a full water change. I did keep the filter insert and marimo moss balls and bamboo unwashed so there would be some good bacteria, but that's all.

How often do you change water?
How much do you change?
What water conditioner do you use.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back