Is this dwarf water lettuce?

FriendlyGeek

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Morning all 👋

I've been looking in the plant identification section and I think this may be dwarf water lettuce, can anyone advise please?

To my untrained eye, it looks to be in a pretty poor state at the moment so I'm hoping that I can nurture it and maybe bring it back to it's full potential. I managed to get a couple of shots of it from above and also one from underneath so the the roots can be seen. If anyone can confirm what this is I would be really grateful.

Attachments

• IMG_20211014_171002261_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211014_171002261_HDR.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20211014_171007529_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211014_171007529_HDR.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20211014_171021095_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211014_171021095_HDR.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 82
Morning all 👋

I've been looking in the plant identification section and I think this may be dwarf water lettuce, can anyone advise please?

To my untrained eye, it looks to be in a pretty poor state at the moment so I'm hoping that I can nurture it and maybe bring it back to it's full potential. I managed to get a couple of shots of it from above and also one from underneath so the the roots can be seen. If anyone can confirm what this is I would be really grateful.
I'll concur with water lettuce, though not sure if that's dwarf water lettuce.
Tip of the iceberg?

We were given a couple of them when we visited our LFS last week. They sell various plants but I have never seen many floating ones so I asked if they stock them and he said they don't sell well but he had a couple - and proceeded to dig into his tanks and grab a small handful which he very kindly gave to us without charge!! Some of them were very damaged when we got them in the tank, so I just kept the three or four healthier looking ones (the ones in the pictures). He also gave us what looks like Java Moss and said to try floating that aswell, but the fish seem to enjoy breaking that up :huh: I really hope the water lettuce do well, they are lovely

The Water Lettuce species is Pistia stratiotes, and there is only the one species. There is no "dwarf" species or variety, it is the same plant. Size is determined by growing conditions. Several years ago I had this plant in more than one tank, and its size certainly did vary from tank to tank. I also tossed it in the goldfish pond during summer, and the plants grew enormous (by comparison). Good light and good nutrition is needed.

We were given a couple of them when we visited our LFS last week. They sell various plants but I have never seen many floating ones so I asked if they stock them and he said they don't sell well but he had a couple - and proceeded to dig into his tanks and grab a small handful which he very kindly gave to us without charge!! Some of them were very damaged when we got them in the tank, so I just kept the three or four healthier looking ones (the ones in the pictures). He also gave us what looks like Java Moss and said to try floating that aswell, but the fish seem to enjoy breaking that up :huh: I really hope the water lettuce do well, they are lovely
Java moss can't grow floating! It has to be superglued/tied with fishing twine to a surface such as rock or driftwood.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back