Is this diatoms?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Metta

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just wondering tanks about 5 weeks old now, cycle just about completed.

Iā€™m unsure if this is algae or diatoms. Iā€™m getting a clean up crew in as soon as itā€™s fully cycled.

Attachments

• C28EE3C3-7BD5-4584-9E60-C1B295F53BF8.jpeg
    C28EE3C3-7BD5-4584-9E60-C1B295F53BF8.jpeg
    340 KB · Views: 83
  • 46D24F94-398E-4C71-A9A2-DD5328FC3628.jpeg
    46D24F94-398E-4C71-A9A2-DD5328FC3628.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 83
just brown algae on the java moss and wood, nothing to be worried about

Whatever it is, I had tons of the stuff. It seems to be something planted tanks, especially those with aqua soil, go through as part of the settling down process.
I guess you'll feel the slime on the tank glass? If so then the word from the forum about my similar situation was that it was biofilm.
If that's correct then it'll be a good source of food for the algae eaters you have, and it'll stop renewing itself when the tank settles down.
A word of caution though. Following the biofilm stage I then got a damned awful problem with hair algae. Watch out for any signs of that and nip it in the bud as it's really difficult to get rid of.
I have stopped using my overhead lighting right now and the only light that hits the tank is from a nearby one and from the early morning and late evening period when I open the curtains. It seems to be working.

just brown algae on the java moss and wood, nothing to be worried about

Thanks Colin, how can I keep it under control Iā€™ll be adding some otos now my tank is fully cycled now.

Iā€™ll also be trimming my main issue is the Anubis leaf itā€™s covered in the stuff.

Diatoms will go away on their own after a week or three. You can quicken the process up by wiping the glass and anything else with it down gently. It is part of the end of cycle process and can reappear at any time later in the life of the aquarium

Otto's should not be added until the aquarium is at least 6 to 8 months from end of cycle as they require a fully matured aquarium to thrive.

Otto's should not be added until the aquarium is at least 6 to 8 months from end of cycle as they require a fully matured aquarium to thrive.
I added 6 of them to my tank. That was as soon as I noticed the hair algae and there was still a fair amount of diatoms/biofilm on the wood and some plants. They are doing fine.
I wouldn't put them in if there's little obvious food source for them though. They really aren't into algal wafers etc - just plain old algae and diatom stuff

Last edited:
Not as easy to rip out all the Java moss and start againā€¦..
There has to be another natural solutionā€¦
You won't get rid of the Java moss, so you can pull as much of it out as you like once you have java moss you will always have java moss.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back