Is this blue green algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Be28ans

Reaction score
Hello to everyone, if anyone can tell me would be a big help. Is this blue green algae on my stone rock? I bought some oto catfish to try to get rid of algae on rocks and plants.

Attachments

• 20220530_190950.jpg
    20220530_190950.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 92
It looks a lot like blue green algae.

If it lifts off in a film/ sheet and smells musty/ mouldy, then it is blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria).

You can take the rocks outside and hose them off.

Reduce the dry food going in the tank.

Increase water movement and oxygen, especially around the bottom where it is growing.

If you have a lot of red light on the tank, add some blue light.
If you have fluorescent globes that are more than 12 months old, replace them with new globes that have a 6500K rating. (K is for Kelvin). You should replace the fluoro starters when you replace the globes.

It looks a lot like blue green algae.

If it lifts off in a film/ sheet and smells musty/ mouldy, then it is blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria).

You can take the rocks outside and hose them off.

Reduce the dry food going in the tank.

Increase water movement and oxygen, especially around the bottom where it is growing.

If you have a lot of red light on the tank, add some blue light.
If you have fluorescent globes that are more than 12 months old, replace them with new globes that have a 6500K rating. (K is for Kelvin). You should replace the fluoro starters when you replace the globes.
Increase water movement by just turning up the waterflow on my pump?

Not sure what it is but i think it looks cool! Makes the tank look more natural
I fully agree ! It looks very cool. I'm no expert on the names of types of algae but I've seen many over the years. I classify them as good algae or bad algae and your picture looks like good algae to me. Good algae being a type that fish and snails will eat and that won't take over in a bad way.

The best way to attack this issue is to use nerve snails it is their favorite food. Put one fight on top of it and they will start to eat it.

That's probably not BGA. Its the usual green algae and any Ancistrus in town could take care of it.

Or add more plants to out compete the algae, or less light and then flip the stones up side down for instant clean.

Doesn't look like it to me...I like it though!

I have some of it on stones and wood in my own tank. It is really cool looking and not the usual algae that gets out of control. It's more like moss at about 2 - 3 mm tall.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back