Is this Betta fin rot?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NewToFish2020

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and went down to feed my betta only to realize his fins look a little different. Is it fin rot? (See picture) and if so what should I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 82
  • EA6E15E1-86B8-4176-A77D-F7CC25F1335A.jpeg
    EA6E15E1-86B8-4176-A77D-F7CC25F1335A.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 82
Doesn’t really look like fin rot to me, just tattered. Are there any sharp, plastic plants/decor in that tank? How strong is the filter flow? Is he a new Betta?

Doesn’t really look like fin rot to me, just tattered. Are there any sharp, plastic plants/decor in that tank? How strong is the filter flow? Is he a new Betta?
Yes there is one plastic plant in the tank he likes to sleep in. I turned the filter flow down cause I heard bettas like that. Also I’ve had him for about a month.

It looks like they are tattered to me, not fin rot. The filter would be my first suspect. What does the intake look like?

Large daily water changes will help his fins heal quickly p. (70%+ every day for a week, or until things get better)

It looks like they are tattered to me, not fin rot. The filter would be my first suspect. What does the intake look like?

Large daily water changes will help his fins heal quickly p. (70%+ every day for a week, or until things get better)

The water flow from the filter isn’t too strong. I’ll start to do daily water changes starting today! Should I use aquarium salt to further help his fin growth?

The water flow from the filter isn’t too strong. I’ll start to do daily water changes starting today! Should I use aquarium salt to further help his fin growth?
Aquarium salt can be used, but the only thing it may do is prevent infection. You may use it if you like, but I personally think it’s overkill, as your Bettas fins don’t look that bad.

I agree. Obviously we don't know what he looked like before but I don't see anything wrong. Try searching online for images of male Bettas and you will see plenty that look like this.
As such I would avoid adding any chemicals, including salt, as these always stress your fish so should only be used if there is a definite problem that needs to be fixed. Likewise large water changes should be undertaken only when absolutely necessary as these too can be stressful. That looks like a good sized tank for a single Betta. If it's established and your nitrite and ammonia are zero I would change 10% a week, using a gravel cleaner.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back