Is This A Viable Idea For New Decor?

that's an awesome idea - i wish i'd though of it.

trouble with sea glass is there's not that mush of it, so it's hard to find and also, it tends to be in very small pieces - rarely larger than a square inch - so it wouldn't make good caves.

personally, i think the blowtorch idea is the best.
 
that's an awesome idea - i wish i'd though of it.

trouble with sea glass is there's not that mush of it, so it's hard to find and also, it tends to be in very small pieces - rarely larger than a square inch - so it wouldn't make good caves.

personally, i think the blowtorch idea is the best.

Good shout on the glass from the beach, .. I think i'll make sure to keep a good picture diary if I can when I get started.. I'm not sure if it'll turn out as well as I'm imagining it but i'll give it a good go! .. I'd better get drinking... :shifty:
 
unfortunately I just did some research and I think melting the glass isn't an option. Due to it being so brittle, apparently you'd need to heat up the entire object very evenly as using a concentrated heat will cause that particular part to expand and will cause the glass to shatter..

Anyways, we'll see if sanding and/or some silicone can be used.. I have emery, some fine black sandpaper and even an electric sander so I'll try all 3 and see what works.. I think if I use the electric option very carefully on glass that isn't too thin then it could still work and not be too laborious.
 
I have thought of something like this for a living art piece. A community tank where all decor was trash. like pot, cans glass, a boot, broken plates, those plastic rings from soda cans, and just about anything aquarium safe.

I would call it "what our water ways really look like." It would be a statement.
 
unfortunately I just did some research and I think melting the glass isn't an option. Due to it being so brittle, apparently you'd need to heat up the entire object very evenly as using a concentrated heat will cause that particular part to expand and will cause the glass to shatter..

I used to work in a chemical factory many years ago (got my degree in Chemistry), we used to make and modify a lot of our own glassware, if we broke a beaker or some glassware we never used to through it out but would repair it, if say for instance we broke the lip on a beaker we woulduse a bunsen burner to round off the jagged edges. So using a blow torch wont be a problem. Don't use is on make power justa bit of oxygen to get a blue flame. Don't heat in one point only or you will get the problems as above.

It will round off the edges and will be better than sanding.

good luck
 
I have thought of something like this for a living art piece. A community tank where all decor was trash. like pot, cans glass, a boot, broken plates, those plastic rings from soda cans, and just about anything aquarium safe.

I would call it "what our water ways really look like." It would be a statement.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm going for!.. but in a way,..sadly.. I don't think that's reality as such polluted areas would be so harmful to the local wildlife. Plus being only a 55G I think I may get a better affect by sticking to one or 2 particular types of items. I think what I like about the idea most is that in some way it's as if the 2 extremes can actually get along.. where even though there's all this rubbish.. it is actually providing cover and a home to something.

My sister is pretty arty.. not quite into fish as I am so we're using it as something to work on together a bit like that.

..And thanks to degsod for the help, i'll give it a go.. though i'll probably look like something out of Dr Who with the suit and mask etc.. I don't want to take any chances!

As for using plastic or metal, I'm much more inclined with glass simply because I think the colours and see-through effect could be quite attractive! especially if the fish decide to use the spaces to shelter and you'll get a different angle.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top